• If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss Looking for advice on different electrical roles. in the Electrical Work - Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This person requires some work. They've hopefully explained their skills and qualifications and what area they're in. Otherwise, what's the bloody point?
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

I’m currently working as an electrical maintenance technician for the RAF.

Although the apprenticeship scheme was top class, working life post apprenticeship hasn’t been what I’d hope for in terms of work load. Some weeks you can go a full week without doing any trade specific work.

Having done a 3 year apprenticeship I’m keen to be constantly on the tools developing my skills and experience, whereas I feel like I’m just skill fading due to lack of work.

Wanting to know what types of electrical sectors there is out there where you are busy and constantly have work on. And whether or the lack of work is typical of a maintenance electrician.

Hello and welcome to the forum.
At a guess at the end of the day you joined the military, so square bashing and drill etc must have to come into it too.
Always regret not joining up in the RAF, who knows may of hated it but will never know.
How long did you sign up for and at what age did you start your apprenticeship.

Hello and welcome to the forum.
At a guess at the end of the day you joined the military, so square bashing and drill etc must have to come into it too.
Always regret not joining up in the RAF, who knows may of hated it but will never know.
How long did you sign up for and at what age did you start your apprenticeship.
To be honest there isn’t much drill to do for lads who joined up as electricians & mechanics etc. You might get pulled to do a parade once a year, but for us lads it’s as close to a normal job as you’ll get.

Signed up for 12 years but you can leave and take your qualifications with you after about 4 years. Started my apprenticeship 3 years ago.

A lot of the “juicy” electrical work on equipment is contracted out, which is annoying as it’s work we’d like to get our teeth into. And as I say, jobs are far and few between, so you’re sat about waiting for work most of the time. Which isn’t what you want as a newly qualified electrician.

Wanting to find out if being a maintenance electrician in civi street is similar in terms of work, and whether I’d be better suited to another industry within the electrical sector.

Reply to Looking for advice on different electrical roles. in the Electrical Work - Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock