Discuss Looking for advice on how best to become a spark in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello there,
I'm 16 yrs old, going to be taking my gcses next summer.
After school I would like to become an electrician.
Now, there are a few different options Available in order to get the qualifications.
So I am looking for some advice.
Do I go to college and do a course? If so, should I start on a level 1 or 2?
Or,
Is it better to do an apprentiship and do a level 3 on a day release basis?
I don't know any sparks so I would have to find a company who take on apprentices.
I would need to be stating in September, if not earlier, and so this is something I need to get sorted early on in the new year.
Any advice that can be offered would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Charlie

first contact you local college. they will help with finding a firm that take on apprentices. you need to do level2 followed by level 3, then am2 and nvq3.

It's recently been changed so that if your maths and English are achieved at GCSE C or above you can go straight onto level 3. Which I'd recommend because in the long term it'll pay off.

My advice would be to get a list of companies in your area, use this to help you: Home - http://www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk/
and just phone them and ask them if they are looking to take any apprentices on in the new year. I spent a few months doing this and got lucky when I got a call back saying yes.

Certain companies might want you to email them a CV or even mail it with a cover letter, look on their websites for more info.

Good Luck

Thank you very much for all the replies. Okay, so if I get all Cs I can go straight onto level 3?
I think as has been said I'll just contact all the local companies and hopefully one of them will be willing to take me on as an apprentice.

Thank you very much for all the replies. Okay, so if I get all Cs I can go straight onto level 3?
I think as has been said I'll just contact all the local companies and hopefully one of them will be willing to take me on as an apprentice.
where in th UK are you?

Have a look at the Somerset Directory to see what firms are advertising... you could try contacting them. The fact they are on here means you can easily get in contact either via their advert or via a PM. Good luck!

Reply to Looking for advice on how best to become a spark in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock