Discuss Looking For Experience in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Studying spark

I am currently studying City & Guilds 2330 Lv2 at college and am looking for work in the south west to help gain experience. I have written to all the maintenance companies that cover this area and have been told that i am too old for their apprenticeship schemes (i'm 30). Does anyone in the southwest need an apprentice/mate to help out? is anyone willing to help out? does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks
Rick

Was in same situation as you 2 months ago.
Don't become despondent. Keep going. Something will turn up eventually.

I used to contact EVERY electrician/contractor in Yellow Pages and on Yell.com.
Send them e-mails,CV's and covering letters. Phone them. Visit them in person with CV in hand.

Once I'd covered A-Z. Start again.

I took me over 200 applications before I got something. Funnily enough just as I gave up and started to look for ANY job to pull some money in (also at college), I was phoned by a contractor who asked me to attend an interview which I duly did.
They then offered me an apprenticeship (I'm 30) even though they weren't taking on at that time.

Why?

"You've shown committment and initiative by just walking in and handing in your CV on the off chance. Took your age into consideration and after looking at your CV, thought your a lad who's not going to around but'll get his head down and learn."

And I do.

Good luck mate, keep us posted.

yep, like bane has sed, just keep postinjg cv's I sent 200 for an apprentice with no quals, and had no look, took a crash course, and after sent 350 letter, 20% responded negativly, but 1 eventually did and has given me the experience and a foot on the ladder, just takes the one in my eyes, keep going and good luck!!

regards lukescotty

Bane & LScotty or anyone else in a similar position.

Being in a similar position to yourselves, i.e past typical apprenticeship/schooleavers age. Perhaps you can help.

What was your experience of wages when you first got your foot in the door. Whilst I am desperate to find a company but realistically speaking JIB apprenticeship wage rates do not cover the other commitments I have in life. What was your experience of a more mature starting age and what was your approach when talking to potential companies.

Thanks
Oxford132

Bane & LScotty or anyone else in a similar position.

Being in a similar position to yourselves, i.e past typical apprenticeship/schooleavers age. Perhaps you can help.

What was your experience of wages when you first got your foot in the door. Whilst I am desperate to find a company but realistically speaking JIB apprenticeship wage rates do not cover the other commitments I have in life. What was your experience of a more mature starting age and what was your approach when talking to potential companies.

Thanks
Oxford132

As an apprentice that is one of the things that goes with the job low wages I'm afraid.

You can't expect a company to pay you the same rate as someone is qualified and your not because of your age.

Reply to Looking For Experience in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock