Discuss Looking for free (or very cheap) video editing software in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Moley

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I've been looking at some home videos that I've made over the years. I'm thinking it's about time I had a play around with editing and titling my works of art(!) and editing out bits that should have been on 'that' DVD ;-) Anyone got suggestions for some software? Either Windows or Linux (Ubuntu). Basically I want to take bits from assorted DVDs (camcorder is a mini DVD jobbie) and add titles etc. then burn them onto another DVD and save onto my NAS. As I'm a tight arsed git preferably free or very cheap.

But not in Win7 and Win8 which is what I use.

Moviemaker was in 7, I’m sure. Or it was part of an additional software suite, which might not be able to be downloaded from Microsoft any more

Also have a look at DaVinci Resolve. That is also free

Also have a look at DaVinci Resolve. That is also free
I'll second that - DaVinci Resolve is awesome. I use the free version at home and paid for version at work. It is incredibly powerful and the free version doesn't have any limitations for the kind of thing you're looking to do. Lots of free tutorials out there for it too.

Shotcut is another great bit of video editing software and open source.

Getting the DVDs in to both will need some more software. Handbrake is good. Make MKV also but Resolve won't read the resulting files - Shotcut will though.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll take a look later and see what I like.

Clipchamp seems to be under Microsoft's wing now and is free. I've had a quick look and it seems pretty good to me.

I'm not a bot, honest :)

Malware, the don’ts you need to know

My personal experience with McAfee
Speaking from my personal experience with this web site, once you access the site, it will not let you go. I am prevented from deleting or uninstalling it.

Just friendly advice, once you are in, the site will not let you go.
Anyone else have this problem?

okfine responded by posting—
McAfee embeds malware.

okfine Yesterday at 2:38 PM
responded by posting—
I'm serious about the malware. Uninstall will never delete it all from the registry. You will have to wipe the HD and reload the OS. Or junk it.

Flopper Yesterday at 6:32 PM
I have used a program called Revo Uninstaller for many years. It's freeware but you will probably want to pay the $12.95 to get all the features. When you uninstall a program it first uses the windows uninstall program in the control panel. Then it looks a all the entries in the Registry for this program that remain and offers to delete them. Also it list any remaining files and offers to delete them. I can't image an application program that would not be fully deleted by Revo Uninstaller.

You can do what revo uninstaller does manually but I wouldn't do it unless you are very familiar with the registry because you can really screw up your computer if don't know what you're doing.

Lemmi Yesterday at 6:37 PM
My personal experience with McCafee is I was a customer in the early days then I quit them. Recentlly they found me again and are causing unwanted popups advertising their products. Like I'm going to do business with companies that do crap like that.

okfine Yesterday at 6:51 PM
The OP needs to know that the Mcafee pop-ups are there to confuse you into clicking on them. Everytime you do click on one it adds more to the registry.
Have you used that program to rid that nasty Mcafee anti-virus virus software?

Flopper Yesterday at 6:56 PM
I would not do that. There are a number of solutions. If you have already deleted the program using Windows Uninstaller in the control panel you need to remove any remaining registry entries, also Mcfee files listed in the registry and any McAfee programs in the startup file that loads files on startup.

However, if you want to do it the easy and safe way then use one of the third party uninstallers such as Revo Uninstaller. It is cheap and will completely remove everything that McAfee put on your computer. I think there is still a free version but it doesn't cost much to get the full version.

Flopper Yesterday at 7:23 PM
The same is true with Norton and probably other security suites. Even after I subscribe to Norton 360, they kept finding security problems which they just happen to have a software program to fix it at an additional yearly cost. Once they sell you all the little add-ons, they go for the big kill, LifeLock, an expensive ID theft insurance. If you bought all of their security stuff, you would probably end up paying $500+ a year.

Norton is more expensive than McAfee and probably other security suites but the software is solid as is their support. It comes with their password manager which will automatically save all passwords you enter on your computer and it will fill them in on most website. I love this feature since I have hundreds of passwords. However, their marketing will never stop trying to sell you more stuff. Even if you cancel it, they will keep trying. They literally will follow you to your grave. That said, I really like their software.

Grumblenuts Today at 9:06 AM
McAfee is malware. I got rid of Norton360 with little difficulty, but yeah, everything Flopper said. I just use a good VPN now and avoid garbage. Know-it-all kids and their demented grandparents are one's biggest threat. They think they're indestructible right up until, Oops, I did it again,.. Quick, emergency! Hep, hep me!

The above is just a friendly warning located at this site—
My personal experience with McAfee - https://tinyurl.com/mr2acauy

nothing more, nothing less
Comments, pro/con welcome

Malware, the don’ts you need to know

My personal experience with McAfee
Speaking from my personal experience with this web site, once you access the site, it will not let you go. I am prevented from deleting or uninstalling it.

Just friendly advice, once you are in, the site will not let you go.
Anyone else have this problem?

okfine responded by posting—
McAfee embeds malware.

okfine Yesterday at 2:38 PM
responded by posting—
I'm serious about the malware. Uninstall will never delete it all from the registry. You will have to wipe the HD and reload the OS. Or junk it.

Flopper Yesterday at 6:32 PM
I have used a program called Revo Uninstaller for many years. It's freeware but you will probably want to pay the $12.95 to get all the features. When you uninstall a program it first uses the windows uninstall program in the control panel. Then it looks a all the entries in the Registry for this program that remain and offers to delete them. Also it list any remaining files and offers to delete them. I can't image an application program that would not be fully deleted by Revo Uninstaller.

You can do what revo uninstaller does manually but I wouldn't do it unless you are very familiar with the registry because you can really screw up your computer if don't know what you're doing.

Lemmi Yesterday at 6:37 PM
My personal experience with McCafee is I was a customer in the early days then I quit them. Recentlly they found me again and are causing unwanted popups advertising their products. Like I'm going to do business with companies that do crap like that.

okfine Yesterday at 6:51 PM
The OP needs to know that the Mcafee pop-ups are there to confuse you into clicking on them. Everytime you do click on one it adds more to the registry.
Have you used that program to rid that nasty Mcafee anti-virus virus software?

Flopper Yesterday at 6:56 PM
I would not do that. There are a number of solutions. If you have already deleted the program using Windows Uninstaller in the control panel you need to remove any remaining registry entries, also Mcfee files listed in the registry and any McAfee programs in the startup file that loads files on startup.

However, if you want to do it the easy and safe way then use one of the third party uninstallers such as Revo Uninstaller. It is cheap and will completely remove everything that McAfee put on your computer. I think there is still a free version but it doesn't cost much to get the full version.

Flopper Yesterday at 7:23 PM
The same is true with Norton and probably other security suites. Even after I subscribe to Norton 360, they kept finding security problems which they just happen to have a software program to fix it at an additional yearly cost. Once they sell you all the little add-ons, they go for the big kill, LifeLock, an expensive ID theft insurance. If you bought all of their security stuff, you would probably end up paying $500+ a year.

Norton is more expensive than McAfee and probably other security suites but the software is solid as is their support. It comes with their password manager which will automatically save all passwords you enter on your computer and it will fill them in on most website. I love this feature since I have hundreds of passwords. However, their marketing will never stop trying to sell you more stuff. Even if you cancel it, they will keep trying. They literally will follow you to your grave. That said, I really like their software.

Grumblenuts Today at 9:06 AM
McAfee is malware. I got rid of Norton360 with little difficulty, but yeah, everything Flopper said. I just use a good VPN now and avoid garbage. Know-it-all kids and their demented grandparents are one's biggest threat. They think they're indestructible right up until, Oops, I did it again,.. Quick, emergency! Hep, hep me!

The above is just a friendly warning located at this site—
My personal experience with McAfee - https://tinyurl.com/mr2acauy

nothing more, nothing less
Comments, pro/con welcome

The OP wanted advice on video editing software.

Forgive me for jumping in. Since everyone here uses a computer & the internet, I thought this side note might help my fellow computer users.

My intrusion will not happen again.

No offence intended, apologies if it came across that way.

Reply to Looking for free (or very cheap) video editing software in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock