Discuss Looking for G9 to G4 adapter in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

YossiD

-
DIY
Reaction score
I have some lighting fixtures with G9 sockets that I want to use for outdoor 12V LED lighting. After extensive searches I have come to the conclusion that there are no 12V G9 LED bulbs, only G4. Nor have I managed to find any G9 to G4 adapters. Does such a thing exist?

Due to the structure of these fixtures, it is not possible to replace the G9 sockets with G4, as the sockets have an outer thread with a bushing that holds a heavy glass shade.

G9 socket.jpg

In the meantime, I have tried soldering some thin brass strips to the G4 bulb pins and that works ok, but it's definitely a nuisance and I'd be interested in other suggestions.

Thanks

Like you I thought G9 bases were exclusively found on mains voltage bulbs. It's true in retail shops.
But there seem to be 12V or 24V LED versions for special applications, eg camper vans and boats.
I suggest you keep looking, e.g.

Expensive though!

Thanks for the reply.

The low voltage G9 bulbs appear to be out of stock on Amazon, and I have no idea if they will ship to Israel. Didn't find anything similar elsewhere

In the meantime I've ordered some of these on AliExpress (~ $2/bulb in lots of 10).
G9 12V dimmable.jpg

They claim to be 12V/12W dimmable, though I doubt they'll be as bright as the wattage suggests - no lumen value provided. Time will tell.

Here's my prototype G4 to G9 conversion. Not very elegant (I need to work on my soldering skills) , but it works well so far. Fortunately I have some suitable brass shimstock lying around, and luckily the G4 pins are solderable and can be bent without snapping off.
G4 to G9 conversion -lo res.jpg

Any idea why G9 are not readily available in low voltage versions or why there's no G4 to G9 adapter? The G9 certainly seem more robust than G4.
Like you I thought G9 bases were exclusively found on mains voltage bulbs. It's true in retail shops.
But there seem to be 12V or 24V LED versions for special applications, eg camper vans and boats.
I suggest you keep looking, e.g.

Expensive though!

Reply to Looking for G9 to G4 adapter in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net