Discuss Looking for good quality yellow , red and blue Insulated through Crimps in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

I buy them from various sources near wherever I may be working including CEF at times and never had a problem with any make (Only perhaps where the conductor slips out the moment you compress!!!).
So cant really suggest anything else as all seem to be ok to me whatever make!

the qualityof the crimping tool makes a big difference. also these crimps are not as good on soloid strand as they are on 7 strand cable. i use a knipex ratchet tool, adjustable pressure, narrow jaws so you can crimp each end separately. cost about £65 though.

I'm not the biggest fan of insulated crimpable terminals but on the odd occasion I buy them try to stick to the Hellermanntyton terminals. I have noticed that the cheaper no-name terminals tend to have thinner or softer insulation so this could have an effect how well they crimp.

Personally I rarely would use them for wire-wire joints, I find they are most often for earth ring tags and occasionally for the push-on (car electrics) style of terminals on equipment switches, etc.

this is my beast. the adjstable pressure feature allows to crimp the yellow ones easily by first crimping at a lower pressure, then a higher one.
1602402073850.png

I think we have one of these:
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/crimp-tools/0533279/
Does a good job, and less mangling of the plastic on the insulation cover as well (compared to another £25 tool I got from somewhere).

I had these given to me around 15 years ago. Didn’t realise you could still get them. Really happy with them, much better than the CK crap the wholesalers all seem to stick.

Most insulated through-crimps are simply not suitable for solid conductors. The conductor does not deform enough to engage properly into the texture of the crimp barrel, instead the barrel tends to crush around the outside of the conductor without really gripping it. Proper crimps for solid tend to be uninsulated and need indent or hexagon tooling to apply enough pressure to deform, which doesn't work through the nylon sleeve of a coloured crimp. If you are having repeated failure with stranded or fine-stranded conductors then start again with a known good tool and brand-name crimps that match.

this is my beast. the adjstable pressure feature allows to crimp the yellow ones easily by first crimping at a lower pressure, then a higher one.
View attachment 61321
These are the dog undercarriage :) Now another tool I need to go and buy based on their looks. BTW when my good lady asks WTF are these for when they get delivered, @telectrix you'll be getting blamed for this latest purchase. ;P

Main problem with all these coloured crimps is they’re too big though.

Anyone got a link to any that actually fit!?

Only on Friday I connected 2.5 singles using red crimps. It’s a joke. How hard can it be to make them a snug fit.

SWA (brand, not armoured cable) are good quality.

This old chesnut again. It baffles me that they're one of about 3 connector types considered MF. Yes, a properly terminated crimp should be fine (although like other I have zero confidence in them on solid) - but how often do you find ones that aren't? Given the choice, then give me an old bakelite junction box under the floorboards than these any day. (Obviously Wagos are the superior option, but i'm hypothesizing).

To be fair I don’t recall ever finding a burnt out connection in a crimp, but many in old JB’s. Possibly to do with amounts of these joints in service though.

Reply to Looking for good quality yellow , red and blue Insulated through Crimps in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net