• If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss Looking for mate/improver role in the Electrical Work - Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This person requires some work. They've hopefully explained their skills and qualifications and what area they're in. Otherwise, what's the bloody point?
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

jjb853

-
Trainee
Reaction score
I am currently studying one night a week C&G Level 2 Installations. Got my CSCS card, currently going down the route of ECS as well, I work one day a week at a lighting company with a maintenance electrician and, from the one day a week, I am learning a little bit from them and I enjoy iy. I have done odd jobs here and there helping out which has been invaluable experience and knowledge gained from it. I have emailed, called and explored every option I can think of to try and get into this full time as a mate. I been to every wholesaler within a 20 mile radius(more or less) handing out CV's, asking if they know anyone. I have emailed, called, sent letters and even turned up suited and booted to a few places to try and get something, but as of yet I have not really heard anything. I suppose my question is, is there anything else I could be doing? Anything I'm doing wrong? Would just like the opinion of people who would be potential employers what they think I can do? I will give you some background, I'm 28, work 4 days a week in sales, dropped a day a week to go to night college and happened to land a job in the day with this Lighting Company(Abacus lighting). I live in the Derbyshire area, I have a driving license, own hand tools, CIS registered etc. I welcome any ideas, advice or even brutal honesty, as it's been nearly 7 months now and seem to be having more joy trying to teach my dog to speak mandarin. I'm a patient guy, I know this won't happen overnight, but just any help I can get would be most appreciated, cheers in advance!
Source URL: Looking for electricians mate work in Derbyshire - https://www.electriciansforums.net/threads/looking-for-electricians-mate-work-in-derbyshire.180552/

think you are doing everything possible. might be an idea to try some of the smaller contractors in your area as well as the bigger boys. even if you can get a few odd days here and there, on a self-employed basis when they needd extra hands on a job.

Yeah I have spoken to a couple of contractors and they have said they will keep my details in case they need a hand like. Doing everything I can, ringing people, been to a few wholesalers as well but don't seem to be getting much back. I am just trying to get something full time ideally, but would take any odd job here or there as I have some decent experience now, I just want to build on that. I'll keep plodding along and hopefully something will break my way soon. Hard game to get into when you're a bit older!

Yeah I have spoken to a couple of contractors and they have said they will keep my details in case they need a hand like. Doing everything I can, ringing people, been to a few wholesalers as well but don't seem to be getting much back. I am just trying to get something full time ideally, but would take any odd job here or there as I have some decent experience now, I just want to build on that. I'll keep plodding along and hopefully something will break my way soon. Hard game to get into when you're a bit older!

In a similar boat to you squire, just add a few years. Keep plodding along and being proactive, you've already got a foot in the door as a maintenance tech so keep at that and pole once in a while to show you're eager for progression. Speak to your course provider as they may have an apprenticeship advisor who may be able to sell the values of an apprenticeship to your current employer and change your part time there to something more.

I know mate, problem I've got is I've got a mortgage, car and paying for college courses, exams etc. Apprenticeship wouldn't even cover the bills from what I have seen. Would love to do it but I suppose I will just have to do it the hard way lol Hopefully something comes up soon anyway. Nothing worth having comes easy I suppose. Cheers

Yeah I've spoke to a few agenices and most can only offer a couple of weeks/months here and there, I get I may have to cross that bridge at some point to get a good foothold in the industry but need fairly steady work to at least cover the bills. I get my situation is peculiar and maybe I am asking a bit much, but if a contract was going for 12-18 months it's worth the risk but not had anything or seen anything offering that at the moment. Cheers again for the advice though

But with agencies that’s the way it is. In 8 years working for agencies the most I’ve been off is two weeks. One year I had 13 different jobs. Last 2 years I’ve been with same firm. Swings and roundabouts. Everyone had bills to pay. I have 4 kids but I do well at it. I think you need to drop the dream of the perfect job/contract coming up and if you are genuinely serious about being in the trade. then take the next opportunity that comes up. 7 months seems a very long time to me to not find a job

No I get that, like I say maybe my expectation is unrealistic. 7 months is from ground zero, enrolling at college and starting the process of changing career, essentially from no experience to where I am now, which isn't a long time. I've never done the whole working through agencies, I have always been PAYE before so I suppose it is a bit daunting. Maybe I just need to suck it and see but I just thought there was no harm in asking/enquiring for a full time position within a firm or business before I do that.
[automerge]1580756701[/automerge]
Also I have had a lot of work been offered to me and I have managed to do a lot, just unfortunately most of it involved working away and I'm in the middle of the College Course at the minute so have to be fairly local. Might be able to do more agency work once I've done the level 2 and can be more flexible.

Last edited:
I was new to it as well. Didn’t start untill I was 30. Got a job as a mate towards the end of my level 2. I did day release on a Friday. Not easy but like you say suck it and see. Start with an agencie to get on site then look for the job you want once you are earning. As long as your working who really cares about the length of each job. Being first on one is obviously better because you generally stay till the end
[automerge]1580757062[/automerge]
Just get on site then figure it out. You’ll realise it’s the only way to learn by actually doing it

Reply to Looking for mate/improver role in the Electrical Work - Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock