• If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss Looking for offshore work as an electrician in the Electrical Work - Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This person requires some work. They've hopefully explained their skills and qualifications and what area they're in. Otherwise, what's the bloody point?
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

Peter Root

Hello all, im a sparky with 5 years post apprenticeship experience in domestic, commercial, street lighting and a bit of industrial too. I am trying to find some offshore work in oil and gas to be specific and its proving to be difficult.. I'm thinking of having a professional cv done by the oil and gas guru?

I realise the industry is in a state at the moment and experienced lads are losing their jobs but eventually it will have to pick up again. So if theres any lads out there within this sort of work that could give me a few pointers that would be a massive help.

Qualifications wise i have; 2330, AM2, 17th, PAT testing, 2394/5, started a HNC in electrical engineering in feb.
Ive also booked and paid for CompEx, Bosiet, MIST, shoulder measurements, escape chute, CA-ebs, medical I'm doing these November and December.

Thanks
Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
I work in the Oil and Gas Industry but in Australia not UK. If you Tailor your Resume/CV. I would avoid anything Donestic or Even Commercial. Have you had any Industrial Construction or Maintance Experience? Instrumentation? Doing the COmpex is good it will give you a brief understand of Putty and Resin Ex D Glands. Something that always looks good on the CV.

I also admire that your being proactive getting the BOSIET and MIST survival courses under your belt. A lot of blokes just think you can turn up with a JIB card and 17th and think you can just jump on... Get the above courses out of the way... Tailor your resume and be persistent. I'm sure you'll get your GIG. If not then at least you have credentials for Power stations or even the new nuclear plant at Hinkley Point when it starts... Good coin I'm hearing!!!!

I work in the Oil and Gas Industry but in Australia not UK. If you Tailor your Resume/CV. I would avoid anything Donestic or Even Commercial. Have you had any Industrial Construction or Maintance Experience? Instrumentation? Doing the COmpex is good it will give you a brief understand of Putty and Resin Ex D Glands. Something that always looks good on the CV.

I also admire that your being proactive getting the BOSIET and MIST survival courses under your belt. A lot of blokes just think you can turn up with a JIB card and 17th and think you can just jump on... Get the above courses out of the way... Tailor your resume and be persistent. I'm sure you'll get your GIG. If not then at least you have credentials for Power stations or even the new nuclear plant at Hinkley Point when it starts... Good coin I'm hearing!!!!
Kennyken

Thanks for getting back to me I was starting to worry!
I have got industrial experience with three phase machinery installation and maintenance although not masses. I think I will take all the domestic off my cv then in that case and tailor it more towards industrial. In your opinion though shall I leave it until I've got these offshore tickets and compex before getting a decent tailor made CV , like you said they must get thousands of lads trying to wing their way in with nothing more than 17th edition..
I've heard about Hinckley and that could be plan b, but I'm not going to give up on offshore yet. Is there anymore tickets I could do to help me get on? Also is it as good offshore as I'm imagining it will be?

Thanks again
Pete

HI Peter, really don't want to dampen your desire to get offshore and having been paid off my self this year with 12 years offshore experience from production to drilling and north sea to international under my belt it really is like banging your head against a brick wall with not even a thank you right now. yes get every ticket under your belt to show the recruiter you have went the extra mile to get there. i personally wouldn't leave out your experience on your CV as they will ask where you worked and gained your skills but expand more on the maintenance and motors work you have carried out. I also served my time on the domestic, commercial and industrial sites and this didn't hamper me getting away. right now in the North sea the wages are no better than onshore with what is being offered and some are so small in contract as well you will question going away. But if it really some thing you want and you are happy giving up your life for this dream then keep banging and get on the phone as just a email won't do it you need to phone them as well and try and get in.

Neil

Reply to Looking for offshore work as an electrician in the Electrical Work - Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock