Discuss Looking for spotlight suitable for used fireplace in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

robd

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all,

Got a customer who is having a wood burning stove fitted and wants some kind of light inside the chimney to light it up.

I said it will need to be heat proof...am about to start looking but does anyone have any suggestions please?

Customers heh? You can’t live with them and they keep changing their minds!

Unless its a very big fireplace and / or chimney I would be telling that its a very bad idea ...........

We have a wood burner and the heat radiated off it is rather too high for anything electrical IMHO

Unless its a very big fireplace and / or chimney I would be telling that its a very bad idea ...........

We have a wood burner and the heat radiated off it is rather too high for anything electrical IMHO
Yes we've got one too and I feel the same really but then I thought you have a light inside your oven so maybe it's possible.

Yes we've got one too and I feel the same really but then I thought you have a light inside your oven so maybe it's possible.

I'm guessing you've done a google search for heat resistant lights, cables etc .....

I'm guessing you've done a google search for heat resistant lights, cables etc .....
Yes haven't really seen anything convincing, thought someone may have had the same request. I've fitted lights in a mantle piece before that came with the lights as a kit, inset into the faux beam but I suppose while that area gets warm it doesn't get red hot. They were g9 or g4 capsule like you'd fit in an under unit light before the LED ones came in.

Thought there might be something like the glass light in an oven with the pygmy lamps in not that I've been able to find anything remotely suitable...yet

I had a quick look on the site this morning when you first posted. The only thread I could find was from quite a while ago... 3 posts, nothing of note in it.

I've been having a bit of a mooch around on-line, and there are lots of components that can handle the higher temperatures if you wanted to make something custom, say a series of low voltage MR16 lamps. Holders and cable, no problem. Jointing, ceramic terminal blocks. LV transformer out the way. Silicone cable, some of it good to say 180 deg C.

I think in this day and age though the limiting factor might be the lamps themselves. The LED ones are all plastic and are likely to be affected by the extreme heat.

Another option might be to have the lights down low, below the base of the burner and use them as up lighters?

Thanks for the response. I agree about the LEDs I think they're a no no, even changing a normal lamp is likely to get you a bit sooty. Yes under the stove is an interesting idea, I've got a stove at home I'm going to have a feel round the back when it's lit and see how hot it gets round the back and underneath. I think what the customer has in mind is something out of sight so they can illuminate the chimney and brickwork when the stove isn't lit and add a bit of ambient light but clearly the issue is the heat rising from the stove.

I'm sure there are ways round it, like carefully crafting chimneys and sinking the lights into the side of the chimney so the heat pulls cool air from low down up over the lights to keep them coolish, but it's like where do you draw the line?

I had a look for kits and there's plenty of fireplace lighting kits, but couldn't find anything really suitable.

Did find one thread, I think on the IET forums about someone who had done it with LV and catenary light fittings strung between two steel wires. They said the fittings and lamps (halogens not LEDs) handled it well, but the wires plastic coating failed (no surprise).

I'm sure there are ways round it, like carefully crafting chimneys and sinking the lights into the side of the chimney so the heat pulls cool air from low down up over the lights to keep them coolish, but it's like where do you draw the line?

I had a look for kits and there's plenty of fireplace lighting kits, but couldn't find anything really suitable.

Did find one thread, I think on the IET forums about someone who had done it with LV and catenary light fittings strung between two steel wires. They said the fittings and lamps (halogens not LEDs) handled it well, but the wires plastic coating failed (no surprise).
I saw that on there as well. It's all a bit macho on there for me, they all try and out clever each other :) and usually make some pretty daft suggestions whilst trying to look clever. Had a similar customer once who was arguing that I had to bond his sink and he was a member of the institute of electrical engineers so I went and got the regs book and he backed down and admitted he knew nothing about domestic. A bit off topic but he was alright really.

You can make a bespoke set-up,using oven equipment,but it would be a lot of effort,just to have a better view of a flue...

My choice,would be a clear,pyrex flue,and some magnesium,mixed in with the logs...

You could use a 12v MR16 halogen downlight lamp with the transformer mounted remotely somewhere cool and fibreglass insulated wiring in fiberglass sleeve between the lamp and the transformer. I've seen this set up in fireplace chimneys on several occasions but I'm not sure how much longer the halogen lamps will be available.

Ive fitted gu10 spotlights in corners of large fireplaces with no problems, brought wiring in from side into back of fitting, where ive had to run accross fireplace used fp with p clips, no problems.
Mountain of a mole hill springs to mind from some posts.

Ive fitted gu10 spotlights in corners of large fireplaces with no problems, brought wiring in from side into back of fitting, where ive had to run accross fireplace used fp with p clips, no problems.
Mountain of a mole hill springs to mind from some posts.

I have given you a disagree .... on the basis that you have made it out as if every body with a wood bummer can do this .... we can’t.... our fireplace simply isn’t big enough

Reply to Looking for spotlight suitable for used fireplace in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock