• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss Looking for wiring advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

MickDGT

EF Member
Please see attached photo.

This is the wiring in our bathroom. I've just removed the light fitting that was installed when the house was built and this is what is behind it. It doesn't look right to me. It appears the original fitting was installed using the black, blue and grey wires, but I didn't take proper notice of how as I wasn't expecting to see something that appears to me to be non-standard.

Does anybody have any idea why this would be done in this way? Is it safe? Can I just wire up a new light fitting to those wires?

Thanks in advance.

20190415_111420_resized.jpg

Dustydazzler

Regular EF Member
You will need a multimeter to work out which is perm live (most likely the browns in this case) which is swi live and which is N

Never ever assume what does what

Get a sparks in if you are not completely happy

MickDGT

EF Member
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm in Gloucester. I'm no electrician, clearly, so getting someone who knows what they are doing seems the obvious solution.

Intoelectrics

Regular EF Member
There could be a few reasons this has been done this way. Most likely to do with an extractor fan, since its in the bathroom. Get a qualified electrician in to check it out and advise you on whether its correct and safe.

MickDGT

EF Member
There could be a few reasons this has been done this way. Most likely to do with an extractor fan, since its in the bathroom. Get a qualified electrician in to check it out and advise you on whether its correct and safe.
There is an extractor in the bathroom, so I guess that's the reason here. I think getting a professional in is the best advice, thanks for your help.

telectrix

Scouser and Proud of It
Respected Member
could always dig up pete 999. he very good spark and in your area.

MickDGT

EF Member
Yes it was a bathroom light and not a ceiling rose. I got an electrician to come in and sort the problem out. It was just a matter of them finding the lives and neutral as pointed out by Dustydazzler.

Thanks again to everyone who commented.

spinlondon

Forum Mentor
I would imagine the Blue is the neutral to the light, and either the Black or Grey is the switched live to the light, the other being the neutral to the fan.

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.