Discuss Looking for wiring advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Please see attached photo.

This is the wiring in our bathroom. I've just removed the light fitting that was installed when the house was built and this is what is behind it. It doesn't look right to me. It appears the original fitting was installed using the black, blue and grey wires, but I didn't take proper notice of how as I wasn't expecting to see something that appears to me to be non-standard.

Does anybody have any idea why this would be done in this way? Is it safe? Can I just wire up a new light fitting to those wires?

Thanks in advance.

Looking for wiring advice 20190415_111420_resized - EletriciansForums.net

You will need a multimeter to work out which is perm live (most likely the browns in this case) which is swi live and which is N

Never ever assume what does what

Get a sparks in if you are not completely happy

There could be a few reasons this has been done this way. Most likely to do with an extractor fan, since its in the bathroom. Get a qualified electrician in to check it out and advise you on whether its correct and safe.

There could be a few reasons this has been done this way. Most likely to do with an extractor fan, since its in the bathroom. Get a qualified electrician in to check it out and advise you on whether its correct and safe.

There is an extractor in the bathroom, so I guess that's the reason here. I think getting a professional in is the best advice, thanks for your help.

could always dig up pete 999. he very good spark and in your area.

Yes it was a bathroom light and not a ceiling rose. I got an electrician to come in and sort the problem out. It was just a matter of them finding the lives and neutral as pointed out by Dustydazzler.

Thanks again to everyone who commented.

I would imagine the Blue is the neutral to the light, and either the Black or Grey is the switched live to the light, the other being the neutral to the fan.

If you can get all those wires and connectors inside your light fitting, fine.
If not, you really should put them all in a Junction Box and come out with a short length of flex to the fitting.

Reply to Looking for wiring advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock