Discuss Looking for work experience. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello,

I am fully qualified level 2&3 electrical installation, finished my college course at the start of this year, got my certificates a couple months back, and since i have been looking into continuing down this career path, and in my point of view a apprenticeship would be ideal to do so. I am Worcester based and if anyone is looking into taking a apprentice on, or know anyone who is looking to, it would be massively appreciated if you could either let me know, or to relay on this information.

Re: Looking for wok experience.

Sorry Ken Hom is your best bet, only kidding honest realise it was a typo, but couldn't resist, good luck

Re: Looking for wok experience.

You could peruse the Competent Persons register, using your post code as the search and that will show up the Part P registered sparks - then you could draft a decent letter and contact them all. You've got nothing to lose and it may just pay off.

Recently I've seen "ads" in the local wholesalers, bother for people like you AND for sparks looking for help - so doing the rounds of these outlets may make sense too

Good luck - your OP is well worded, so have a go.

Presumably because he isn't very well experienced. I got into the industry that route and it's not easy!
I was rewiring houses's and working on commercial installations unsupervised, at the age of 19. He is not qualified with no practical.?

Well he is as far as paperwork goes. It depends how old he is, but it's not easy getting apprenticeships or even just on the job training once you're past your teens. I started at college when I was 24 and, as I said, it's not easy.

And having responsibility at 19 isn't any incredible badge of honour of you start the job at 16. I had plenty before moving into sparking.

Last edited:
Well he is as far as paperwork goes. It depends how old he is, but it's not easy getting apprenticeships or even just on the job training once you're past your teens. I started at college when I was 24 and, as I said, it's not easy.

And having responsibility at 19 isn't any incredible badge of honour of you start the job at 16. I had plenty before moving into sparking.

Did I say 16, I started whilst I was still at school, working weekends and School holidays , anyway it's about experience and competence, age does not come into it, IMO the op is not qualified if he is asking to do apprenticeship, its all arse about face today, you don't get qualified then learn an trade.?

Last edited:
So you started earlier than school, and earlier than most. What I'm saying is that it's entirely feasible for someone to do college and gain the core qualifications without much experience, when they are entering the trade at an advanced age. I had a nightmare trying to get the experience to go along with college training, and only had bits, the vast majority came after college. He hasn't worded things well but I'm assuming that he just wants to train and gain enough experience to go out on his own.

Reply to Looking for work experience. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock