Discuss Looking to install a 3ph supply for 2 x 6kW fryer in a commercial kitchen. in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've looked at a job to install a circuit for a 2x 6kW fryer in a commercial kitchen and would really appreciate a second opinion on my calcs, attached in photos. Many thanks in advance.15957926567503533472754223256270.jpg15957926851736156974326852065352.jpg15957927132044527121044192224625.jpg

TL;DR
Installing a 3ph circuit for a 2 x 6kW fryer in a commercial kitchen, would appreciate a second opinion on my calcs, thanks in advance?
Haven't look at the calcs but if you can get two ccts in, rather than try and run two off one cct, its always better in the long run.
You can run 2 X 2.5sqmm 4 core terminate on two Rotary isolaters and put on a B16 breaker, almost impossible for that not to work (subject to calcs again. Lol
Biggest issue with a C32 is ELI

Do not base the ccc of the cable on 90 degree operating temperature, use the tables for Swa at a 70 degree operating temperature as the mcb and other terminals will not be rated for 90 degrees.

Thanks timbo, I appreciate your swift reply?. I thought the same about 6mm cable just to be on the safe side, but it is less than a 15m run and clipped direct and 4mm is capable of 42A installed like this, and we all know there should be plenty of buffer built in even at that, given the draw is less than 17.5Amps per phase. It's just one of those things where you'd like to be safe, it's just nice to get a second opinion sometimes as we all second guess ourselves sometimes, maybe its the beer??. Thanks again mate

Haven't look at the calcs but if you can get two ccts in, rather than try and run two off one cct, its always better in the long run.
You can run 2 X 2.5sqmm 4 core terminate on two Rotary isolaters and put on a B16 breaker, almost impossible for that not to work (subject to calcs again. Lol
Thanks plugs and sparks, the fryer hasn't been purchased yet as I'm told it comes as a single or 3ph option, I done calcs for both but obviously best to install 3ph when you have the option as cable size for single phase comes in at 10mm. So not sure about terminal sizes etc. Could you go into more detail about your proposal please, just interested, thanks again for speedy reply?

How on earth can you connect a single appliance to 2x circuits safely?

Do not base the ccc of the cable on 90 degree operating temperature, use the tables for Swa at a 70 degree operating temperature as the mcb and other terminals will not be rated for 90 degrees.
Thanks Ian, point noted, therefore multicore armoured @ 70 C is 33A for a 4mm cable, maybe I will go for the 6mm in that case as that states 42A ref method C. Appreciate your input mate?
[automerge]1595797925[/automerge]
Is that the 90C rating or 70C rating?

Also if Ib is 17.3A then surely In would be 20A?
It's the 90C rating mate, but as Ian quite rightly pointed out @70 C it carries 33A on 4mm cable, so possibly will use 6mm. I'm installing it for this piece of equipment on a 32A commando with build in rotary isolator and rcd just in case of future use for something else. Also the DB is a discontinued Crabtree Polestar 125A, hence the reason for the 2 in one socket. Cheers
[automerge]1595798122[/automerge]
How on earth can you connect a single appliance to 2x circuits safely?
I wondered that too Dave sparks, that's why I politely asked to explain in more detail?

Last edited:
It's the 90C rating mate, but as Ian quite rightly pointed out @70 C it carries 33A on 4mm cable, so possibly will use 6mm. I'm installing it for this piece of equipment on a 32A commando with build in rotary isolator and rcd just in case of future use for something else. Also the DB is a discontinued Crabtree Polestar 125A, hence the reason for the 2 in one socket. Cheers

That still doesn't explain why you've selected a 32A OCPD for a 17.3A load when 20A would be the more logical choice?

2 X 6KW fryer = 2 X 6kw fryer = 2 appliances otherwise it would be 1 X 12KW fryer.
You need to take a chill pill, its hard enough deciphering half this stuff without you adding to it

I assume from the fact the OP has seen the spec for the appliance and is designing it as a single supply that a 2x6kW fryer is a single appliance comprising of 2 fryers, each rated at 6kW.

The language in the OP is quite clear "A circuit for A 2x6kW fryer" if it was indeed 2 appliances the OP would use the plurals, "circuits for 2x6kW fryers"

That still doesn't explain why you've selected a 32A OCPD for a 17.3A load when 20A would be the more logical choice?
32A would be my preference, the circuit is 15m long so EFLI not going to be an issue here.
No point loading up a 20A TP MCB, he's also stated that the board and mcbs are obsolete and that he had a 32A MCB. Ccc also not an issue after correction factors applied.

For what it's worth I did a 3 Phase oven and calculated 2.5 and the manufacturer insisted they always use 4mm. Maybe the manufacturer of the fryers might have some input? I suppose as it is a cafe they do tend to run their appliances at full tilt for much of the day so yeh belt and braces approach.

I agree with you Dave sparks, my apologies I'm not fully up to speed with calcs as being honest I haven't done any in about 20yrs, as all large scale jobs I worked on had designers, so excuse my ignorance. Initially I had drawn up calcs for a 20A breaker but was advised by a designer to up it to 32 A and use a 2 in 1 socket, photo attached15957992659911222419678493902853.jpg. Would you mind me asking for your personal opinion please

I assume from the fact the OP has seen the spec for the appliance and is designing it as a single supply that a 2x6kW fryer is a single appliance comprising of 2 fryers, each rated at 6kW.

The language in the OP is quite clear "A circuit for A 2x6kW fryer" if it was indeed 2 appliances the OP would use the plurals, "circuits for 2x6kW fryers"
I will bow to the forums use of english, i could equally have assumed the OP missed off the S but struggling with why it would be described as 2 X 6KW and not 1 X 12KW, so i had assumed he only had one cct, hey ho

I agree with you Dave sparks, my apologies I'm not fully up to speed with calcs as being honest I haven't done any in about 20yrs, as all large scale jobs I worked on had designers, so excuse my ignorance. Initially I had drawn up calcs for a 20A breaker but was advised by a designer to up it to 32 A and use a 2 in 1 socket, photo attachedView attachment 59723. Would you mind me asking for your personal opinion please

Nothing wrong with a 32A OCPD lad, cable Ccc OK, EFLI likely to be well under the max.
If this is going to running for 12 - 15 hours a day, a 32A MCB will operate at a cooler temp than a 20A MCB in this environment.

Your the designer at the end of the day!

I will bow to the forums use of english, i could equally have assumed the OP missed off the S but struggling with why it would be described as 2 X 6KW and not 1 X 12KW, so i had assumed he only had one cct, hey ho

For me that is a perfectly normal way to describe the power rating of something, I see a lot of equipment with ratings like that. For example I install stage lighting dimmers described as 12x2.4kW or 24x2.4kW, these are single pieces of equipment which have 12 or 24 channels of 2.4kW dimmers.

Or a 2x13A socket is not 2 seperate items, it's a single plate with 2 bs1363 sockets on it, it's also not a 26A socket.

2 X 6KW fryer = 2 X 6kw fryer = 2 appliances otherwise it would be 1 X 12KW fryer.
You need to take a chill pill, its hard enough deciphering half this stuff without you adding to it
Sorry plugs and sparks, I wasn't clear in my description, this is a twin fryer but 1 single piece of equipment, that is why I asked for you to explain, no offence intended. These fryers can be used individually or both together and come in both single and a 3ph option.

For me that is a perfectly normal way to describe the power rating of something, I see a lot of equipment with ratings like that. For example I install stage lighting dimmers described as 12x2.4kW or 24x2.4kW, these are single pieces of equipment which have 12 or 24 channels of 2.4kW dimmers.

Or a 2x13A socket is not 2 seperate items, it's a single plate with 2 bs1363 sockets on it, it's also not a 26A socket.
Interesting.. I would never describe a double socket as a 2 X13A socket, that would be 2 X single gang sockets. It would be interesting when the fryer shows up what the rating plate says.... please OP take a pic.... it might make my day ( or not) lol

Reply to Looking to install a 3ph supply for 2 x 6kW fryer in a commercial kitchen. in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net