Discuss Looks interesting !! in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Efixx tested this and found it added ~0.05 ohms to the actual value, presumably due to the magnetic connection not being that great. A negligible amount for lighting circuits etc, but significant for shower circuits and the like IMO.

The way I work, I can't see much use for it. I'd be disconnecting the conductors at the next step for IR testing anyway, so it's not really saving me any time.

I've often wondered about a cleverly designed spring tension clip to hold a probe on the top of a breaker, with enough insulation on it not to be lethal!

I can see this being ok for saving some time doing an EICR on an RCD board for everything except ring final circuits which obviously need to come out for end to end and fig8 tests. I can't tell if you can put a smaller bit PZ/SL bit on it for RCBOs.
It is instantly more dangerous so would need careful use!

I take the point that it can inflate the reading a little but if the result comes out close to the max allowed Zs then there would likely be more investigation of connections anyway and at that point I wouldn't mind swapping to clips.

(If there's not a global N-E issue then the N's and the L's can all stay in for L+N to E IR tests, I just clip on the CPC bar and daisy chain two probes)

BTW it's £12.50 with £1.50 delivery.

Last edited:
I quite like the idea of being able to dead test without having to disconnect the wires first , in fact I think its a nice product but in reality unless you are doing 4 or 5 EIRCs a day, day in day out how much time and money will this leaf save the average domestic banger ? not much

I suspect that these, with a bit of heat shrink, and a spare PZ2 bit would do the job equally well.

£3.99 for two of them, shipped! I'll report back...

Breaker not locked off with a shorting link fitted and then leaving the board unattended without disconnecting the outgoing cables is not good practice IMO.
Some of the jobs I've done in the past the customers kids thought nothing of turning an isolated circuit back on when your back was turned because the internet was off and getting online for their gaming fix was more important than anything else

I just can't see how one would ever accidentally saw through SWA that was live. Basic Stanley knives do what the VDE ones do and at a quarter of the price and with changeable blade.
I've cut through 2 live SWAs through negligence (a 3P and a 3*6 over a period of 30yrs that is)

You won't get a shock anyway with an uninsulated hacksaw once the armour is earthed but still, I presume they make them for a reason

I suspect that these, with a bit of heat shrink, and a spare PZ2 bit would do the job equally well.

£3.99 for two of them, shipped! I'll report back...
Just to say don't bother with those - feeble magnet, nearly useless.

Reply to Looks interesting !! in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net