Discuss Looks like a fluorescent, acts like a fluorescent..... in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
..... but where is the control gear?

looking at the age of the fitting, the choke must be massive, but can’t figure out where it is? In between the ceiling and upper floor??

it’ll be coming down at some time, I was only in pricing the job.

07F28FD0-E459-4696-A258-46E890A07B6D.jpeg

Never seen one like that before the control gear must be up in the ceiling. Can only hope it’s well fixed to something substantial I’d imagine it would be a fairly weighty beast

I think you will find the control gear n the fitting the same as most fluorescent lights, just the cover makes it look like there is not enough space.

I've removed those in the dim and distant past.
I'm almost certain the gear is NOT in the ceiling.
I believe it's in the end cap you can see, the other cap will be small.

As James, the fitting is bigger than it may appear.
The tube is 1 1/2" or T.12 in new money.

Thanks for the replies. I’ll find out for sure when I take it down. Most likely the gear is built into the fitting, rather than seperate, up in the ceiling. But I’ll see.

I just didn’t think there was enough space in the end cap for any gear

( I have a vague - aged 15 memory of a very lightweight fitting , with a long plastic tube ,a resistive spiral ,Mystery-simple-pcb
{ maybe a volt doubler } ).
I did not have my phone back then to take pics !

Almost a year, and ive finally taken down this old fitting. (customer was shielding, so all work stopped for a while)

I'll add photos soon, but i can confirm that the fitting is self contained... there is nothing up in the ceiling. The starter is positioned at the end behind one of the black caps, and the other gear in the central box.

No earth, either. The cpc was just wrapped round the fixing screw

Edit. Reposting the original photo

713E8C15-CC52-4B81-BACA-30D900685843.jpeg

Last edited:
44F89C49-601B-4E81-B378-D75E3ED32736.jpeg

Behind the black cap at one end is the starter. Looks like the original.

073756BD-B241-4988-9019-11512106E21C.jpeg

Other end is just the tube pin holder

5B746877-3632-4DAE-A3F4-000282B37CD4.jpeg

Connection in the ceiling bracket part. The grey tube at the bottom connects to the metal, although there’s no proper earth terminal.

Attachments

• 0FC5D144-888B-4345-A559-B0E11EDA4C89.jpeg
    471.2 KB · Views: 2
I hope you're keeping it, but if not, we'd be interested in it for the museum!

That Is a F;uro you add on many fluros for display. That was nicked and popped in house for a quick fix. Nice job just get a new one. replace it.

Reply to Looks like a fluorescent, acts like a fluorescent..... in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net