Discuss Loop and RCD test calibrating with checkbox?? Help Please in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

chrisgc

Hi

I have a checkbox (CCB1), it does the continuity and insulation checks BUT how do I do the Loop and RCD tests with the checkbox which does not have these facilities on?

I have read that you should have a dedicated circuit to do the loop and rcd tests.

Can someone please explain in more detail please?

Instructions not very clear so a walkthough guide would be most welcome.

Chris

Just pick any socket in your house and designate that socket for loop and rcd testing. SIMPLES ;)

is it a guide on how to do the tests mate or just the recording of the dedicated circuit

Sorry I mean instructions/guide on how to do the rcd and loop tests so i can verify my megger mft 1553 is working (my monthly calibrating records).

The checkbox I have is the following:

Calibration Checkbox - Calibration Checkbox CCB1 - Calibration Checkboxes - Calibration Check Box CCB1 - Test Meters and Electrical Test Equipment Supplier - Test and Measuring Meters

It was free when I got the megger.

I know how to do the insulation and continuity but if you look at the description for this checkbox it states,

" the other earth loop impedance and RCD tests are allowed to be done back in your company offices using a known wall socket".

1) Do I need just a dedicated socket that is RCD protected OR a Dedicated circuit with socket solely for use for the rcd and loop testing??

2) Also regarding the dedicated socket can I use one of the plug in rcd's?

3) And my main question is how do I test my megger that my loop and rcd on megger is all ok AND where do I record that the loop and rcd tests work for my monthly checks as the Test Record Card I got with the checkbox only has the boxes to write down the insulation and continuity results?

Your reply would be most appreciated.

Chris

Sorry I mean instructions/guide on how to do the rcd and loop tests so i can verify my megger mft 1553 is working (my monthly calibrating records).

The checkbox I have is the following:

Calibration Checkbox - Calibration Checkbox CCB1 - Calibration Checkboxes - Calibration Check Box CCB1 - Test Meters and Electrical Test Equipment Supplier - Test and Measuring Meters

It was free when I got the megger.

I know how to do the insulation and continuity but if you look at the description for this checkbox it states,

" the other earth loop impedance and RCD tests are allowed to be done back in your company offices using a known wall socket".

1) Do I need just a dedicated socket that is RCD protected OR a Dedicated circuit with socket solely for use for the rcd and loop testing??

2) Also regarding the dedicated socket can I use one of the plug in rcd's?

3) And my main question is how do I test my megger that my loop and rcd on megger is all ok AND where do I record that the loop and rcd tests work for my monthly checks as the Test Record Card I got with the checkbox only has the boxes to write down the insulation and continuity results?

Your reply would be most appreciated.

Chris

1) You just need to make sure you use the same socket each time.

2) No reason why not. That's how I test mine.

3) If you use a dedicated socket, the readings should be about the same each time. I made my own record sheet up in Excel. PM me your email addy and I'll send you a copy.

Do you actually need instruction on how to physically do the loop and RCD tests?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi JUD

Thanks kind sir - look forward to it let me know when done.

Chris

PS do you have a quick walk through of using my checkbox for the loop and rcd test - do I actually need the checkbox for these two tests or do i only need the checkbox for the insulation and continuity?

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris, I would remove your email addy from your post or you may end up getting bombarded with spam.

Always use the PM system to send your email addy m8.

What version of Excel have you got by the way?

PS do you have a quick walk through of using my checkbox for the loop and rcd test - do I actually need the checkbox for these two tests or do i only need the checkbox for the insulation and continuity?

You don't need the box for loop or RCD tests. If you use the plug top adapter that came with the megger and plug it into your dedicated socket you can do both tests with that.

You don't need the box for loop or RCD tests. If you use the plug top adapter that came with the megger and plug it into your dedicated socket you can do both tests with that.

Hi Jud,

Will remove it. If you need me to resend you my email just ask.

I thought as well that you didnt need the checkbox for the rcd and loop.

Guessing those two tests are more of a verification check.

If you can send me a copy of your test record sheet for monthly check that would be great - I have Excel 2007.

Cheers.

Chris

Reply to Loop and RCD test calibrating with checkbox?? Help Please in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock