Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss Loop Ceiling Light in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi,
I am installing a new ceiling light. I know there s the wires from previous light and wires to next light and switch cables . One of the sets has two brown wires so not sure about these . Any help would be great . ThanksIMG_20190815_115606.jpg

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
More than likely, that cable is the Live and SL to the switch

Spoon

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
This is a pure guess and only way to be sure is to test the cables, but I'm guessing as:
The cable with the two brown wires is the switch wire and the other 2 cables are 'feed in' and 'feed out' to next light.

B

Bobster

I would agree with @Spoon

Do you have a picture of the terminals on the new light fitting? Would make it easier explaining what goes where.

Do you own any equipment to test?

Risteard

-
Arms
Esteemed
Twin brown is always the switch drop (or strappers - but clearly not on this occasion as this is at the luminaire).

Spoon

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
I hope you are doing all of this with the power switched off.

Take the switch off the wall and look at the cable going to it. Does this have 2 brown wires?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The black connector came with the light fitting. Didn't seem to be able to accommodate all wires and no place for loop wires so I ordered the two other ones below ( white and blue). If using the white one I was going to let it sit in the light fitting as the fitting is big enough ( would that be ok?) . O tested the wires with the multimeter but not sure if I did it properly . Thanks again

Attachments

DPG

-
Arms
Esteemed
Advent Win
Are you Bob Vance of Vance Refrigeration?

As you are in Ireland I believe what you are doing is illegal and could land you with a four figure € fine best to call in a registered spark.

Matthewd29

-
Arms
Esteemed
Not quite, you are allowed to change fittings/fixtures and even move lights depending on the amount of alteration taking place to the circuit. But we clearly have an issue won the electrical competence here and I would also advise just to call an electrician buying all of that is false economy just pay someone for half an hour's work
As you are in Ireland I believe what you are doing is illegal and could land you with a four figure € fine best to call in a registered spark.

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers

Reply to Loop Ceiling Light in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
Top Bottom