Discuss Loop Ceiling Light in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,
I am installing a new ceiling light. I know there s the wires from previous light and wires to next light and switch cables . One of the sets has two brown wires so not sure about these . Any help would be great . ThanksLoop Ceiling Light IMG_20190815_115606 - EletriciansForums.net

More than likely, that cable is the Live and SL to the switch

This is a pure guess and only way to be sure is to test the cables, but I'm guessing as:
The cable with the two brown wires is the switch wire and the other 2 cables are 'feed in' and 'feed out' to next light.

I would agree with @Spoon

Do you have a picture of the terminals on the new light fitting? Would make it easier explaining what goes where.

Do you own any equipment to test?

Twin brown is always the switch drop (or strappers - but clearly not on this occasion as this is at the luminaire).

I hope you are doing all of this with the power switched off.

Take the switch off the wall and look at the cable going to it. Does this have 2 brown wires?

The black connector came with the light fitting. Didn't seem to be able to accommodate all wires and no place for loop wires so I ordered the two other ones below ( white and blue). If using the white one I was going to let it sit in the light fitting as the fitting is big enough ( would that be ok?) . O tested the wires with the multimeter but not sure if I did it properly . Thanks again

Attachments

• Loop Ceiling Light Screenshot_20190815-122245 - EletriciansForums.net
    Screenshot_20190815-122245.jpg
    422.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Loop Ceiling Light Screenshot_20190815-122301 - EletriciansForums.net
    Screenshot_20190815-122301.jpg
    499.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Loop Ceiling Light 15658682675377339643849653854740 - EletriciansForums.net
    15658682675377339643849653854740.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 23
  • Loop Ceiling Light 15658683095945614836551073530979 - EletriciansForums.net
    15658683095945614836551073530979.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 34
Are you Bob Vance of Vance Refrigeration?

Not quite, you are allowed to change fittings/fixtures and even move lights depending on the amount of alteration taking place to the circuit. But we clearly have an issue won the electrical competence here and I would also advise just to call an electrician buying all of that is false economy just pay someone for half an hour's work
As you are in Ireland I believe what you are doing is illegal and could land you with a four figure € fine best to call in a registered spark.

Indeed, as @Matthewd29 has pointed out minor works (http://www.walshelectrical.ie/electrical-services.html#minor-works) are not illegal. However any work in a special location (e.g. bathroom) are always Restricted Electrical Works and never minor works, so for example replacing a pull cord like-for-like is a criminal offence if the person doing it is not a Registered Electrical Contractor (REC).

The photograph shows that the works in question are not in a bathroom, however.

R u still hung over. There are regulations in place that prevent work on electrical installation if under the influence of alcohol or other substances with the potential to limit mental or physical aptitude.

No problem with you changing a light fitting or doing small simple electrical jobs in your own house, but do it sober.

Reply to Loop Ceiling Light in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock