Discuss Loose Wire Underfloor Heating Cable Can Be Cut To Length? in the Electric Underfloor Heating Wiring area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

R G

I often install loose wire systems , mainly because of the shape of the room and the fittings like showers and toilets , the question is are there any out there that can be trimmed to length and sealed , the amount of times I have to keep living and relaying to use the full length is a pain ....

I know that but if a small amount can be cut off and the end resealed and the resistance checked that would be a great benefit ....

Not sure if warmup did one that you could feed back to the stat, so it didn't return in the cable, and came on a huge roll. But it was a long time ago that I heard about it. @Uheat – Jake might be able to get something for you perhaps?

The only ones I have come across out of 6 different types I have used have a cold tails section , thats the only part that can be trimmed usually ..

I am sure there must be a big demand for one that can be adjusted for length

I know the carbon sheets that go under laminate can. Or I think they can. Ribbon can't. And obviously anything that returns inside the cable.

Jake will know when he's back in work Monday or whatever.

We use trace heater tapes that can be cut within limits so I'd imagine it could be possible with certain UFH tapes as well. By shortening it you increase the current it draws and the watts/mater heat output ie the tape gets warmer the shorter you make it hence the limit to how short you can cut it.

Unfortunately as Dan posted earlier you'd change the characteristics of cable and will cause problems in the long run.

Normally when we quote we tend to aim for 85-95% room coverage so it does leave you a little bit of leway for bathroom fittings and other objects.

Reply to Loose Wire Underfloor Heating Cable Can Be Cut To Length? in the Electric Underfloor Heating Wiring area at ElectriciansForums.net