Discuss Loss of Most Electrics - VW Transporter in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Johnny8718

Hi All.

I have been fitting a tow bar to the van this morning (T5 1.9 TDI, 57 plate). At the point of wiring the electrics, I needed an ignition feed (could not find one for the life of me by the way)!

During that ‘search’ with a Snap on test lamp, I am afraid that something has ‘happened’ to the electrics. I have interior lights and the radio still works, but that is it. The rest of the van is absolutely dead. No ignition, no lights, no mileage display - dead as if the battery was not fitted.

I have checked all of the fuses both under the bonnet and in the cab - even the 40 am fuse located behind the steering column. I have checked the battery and it is fully charged. I have even put my booster pack on to it, just on the off chance whilst in desperation.

I am a timed served mechanic (albeit out of the trade for well over 20 years). I would class myself as proficient and have done this type of job as a DIY(er) over and over again. However I am stumped as to what I have done.

Any ideas before I call an auto electrician?

Thanks in anticipation, John.

sure VW will have software to fix it. lol. sorry can't be of much +ve use except suspect a blown fuse . just a matter of finding it.

There are up to 5 fuse panels in transporters.
You've missed one.

It's got to be a fuse gone causing the problem.

http://www.1946vw.co.uk/vwbooks/vw_info/T5_pdfs/T5 Interior fuses 2003-2010.pdf

Thanks for this.

I have had a look at the link but can only see the fuse boxes under the cup holders and the one on the left hand side of the battery.

Do you know where the others would be situated? I have looked under both seats and cannot find anything there.

Thanks, John.

You were all right - it was a fuse.

However it is a main 100 amp fuse which is situated under the battery tray, on top of the inner wing.

Pig to find but you opinions kept me on the trail!

Thanks for all your help, John.

Glad you sorted it...but there must have been a good ole' crack from the end of that tester,to bust that 100 amp fuse :cool3:

Spent a few days last week straightening out an old T25,with crusty earths,fragile dash track,and moody senders...

Reply to Loss of Most Electrics - VW Transporter in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net