Discuss loss of power to unattached garage in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

minnew

DIY
Reaction score
I have an electrical conundrum and would appreciate any input.

I have an unattached garage that has an electrical line (underground) running to it from the house. I kept having, at first, intermittent circuit breaker trips (I have an older Pushmatic circuit breaker in the main house), even when not using any appliances…and then the problem became constant: every time I would try to reset the breaker, it would immediately trip.

To make a long story short, it turned out to be a partially broken fluorescent bulb in an outdoor light fixture attached to the unattached garage; apparently this was causing a short and thus tripping the breaker.

So after patting myself on the back for finding the problem, I simply replaced the bulb with a standard one and thought that would restore everything to normal. Well it turns out that now the breaker does not trip any longer, but now I have no power to the garage! That didn’t make sense, since I obviously had power just before replacing the bulb since the breaker was tripping!

So, next I presumed that the Pushmatic breaker itself must have failed, and I replaced it. No change. I got out my multimeter and checked for current on the breaker board for that breaker, as well as every other one. All had current and seemed fine.

So, the question is this: did I burn the wiring between the home and garage by forcing trips before replacing the bad bulb? Is there something I am missing as to why the breaker appears to have current but it is not reaching the garage?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

I have an electrical conundrum and would appreciate any input.

I have an unattached garage that has an electrical line (underground) running to it from the house. I kept having, at first, intermittent circuit breaker trips (I have an older Pushmatic circuit breaker in the main house), even when not using any appliances…and then the problem became constant: every time I would try to reset the breaker, it would immediately trip.

To make a long story short, it turned out to be a partially broken fluorescent bulb in an outdoor light fixture attached to the unattached garage; apparently this was causing a short and thus tripping the breaker.

So after patting myself on the back for finding the problem, I simply replaced the bulb with a standard one and thought that would restore everything to normal. Well it turns out that now the breaker does not trip any longer, but now I have no power to the garage! That didn’t make sense, since I obviously had power just before replacing the bulb since the breaker was tripping!

So, next I presumed that the Pushmatic breaker itself must have failed, and I replaced it. No change. I got out my multimeter and checked for current on the breaker board for that breaker, as well as every other one. All had current and seemed fine.

So, the question is this: did I burn the wiring between the home and garage by forcing trips before replacing the bad bulb? Is there something I am missing as to why the breaker appears to have current but it is not reaching the garage?

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Minnew I will go out and bet the wiring underground is aluminum wire and it’s got a bad place, it’s probably not in pipe. If you have power coming out of the breaker and it’s not reaching the building. You didn’t say what kind of loads or breaker size. A breaker will trip only a specific amount of times and you just can’t keep resetting the breaker without inspecting the problem. My suggestion to you is install new wiring from the panel to the building and you will need a licensed electrician for this repair

Reply to loss of power to unattached garage in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock