Discuss Lost a Job in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
last week ( thursday) called to a farm. couple of florrys to fit in barn ( installed 2 fittings 3 months ago, these 2 could not be done then as access denied by farm machinery.) then farmer asks me to fit 2 SON floods on a pole 8ft from wall ( overhead cable), 1 x double socket on steelwork of cattle run, find out why they were getting shocks off light switches ( wet switches ) . the area is off 8 way dis board which is fed with 75m 6mm SWA. from old EE red spot 3 phase board. was apprehensive about safety issues, esp. with cattle about and as it was 3deg. and blowing a gale, i told the farm hand i would be there monday. yesterday was slatting it down so i phoned this morning , told farmer i would be there in 30 mins. " we've had to get someone else in, couldn't wait for you, job needed doing. " hate to think how it's been done. i reckoned was at least a full day testing earthing etc. OK, i've lost a job would have made wages on, but otherwise perhaps a lucky escape from something that could have gone -----up if i failed in some way to make the installation "cattle safe"

I Hate jobs for farmers as they always "know someone who has it like XYZ!" which you and the regs deem to be unsafe answer you get is normaly"Jimmy has had it like that for years!" "jonny did it that way" when Jimmy n Jonny are other farmers
They also expect stuff dont for 2p when it would cost £2 sitting there moaning about the money they get and how we should buy british while they sit in their Mercs and drive John Deer tractors
Btr off without the hastle tex

I've just walked away from a job.....Some customers are total idiots, a long long story but on top of wanting a full job done for half the money and on top of this his interpretation of making good was.....Get this...To replace (Renew and refit) all flooring (Laminate) he expected us to re-paint the walls when complete! To be honest I had to laugh in the van as I drove away...Let some half assed general bodger do it for him...It sometimes just isn't worth the money or grief...What does matter to me is that the electrical installation is spot on, totally spot on, and if the customer doesn't appreciate that then they are not worth working for SIMPLEZ!

it's not that he is miserly in paying. i've done work for him before and he's never queried the bill, and always coughed up on the nail. it's just that he wants things done immediately, and some of the things he's wanted doing ( like coupling conveyors and potato graders , all 3 phase,) i've let him get on with it. i have to admit, i've not done much agri. work and unless i am certain of my competence to do it, i'll walk away.

better to keep away from jobs like that, its like doing work for some shopkeepers, they want everything done last week and for free, proper parts/components and safety go out the window and I walk out the door and let somebody else take it on and take the hit...:D

better to keep away from jobs like that, its like doing work for some shopkeepers, they want everything done last week and for free, proper parts/components and safety go out the window and I walk out the door and let somebody else take it on and take the hit...:D

.......... and cafe owners too.

I walked away from a job in the cafe where my girlfriend works as the owner expected me to work on the system "live" and while the cafe was open to customers with all the cooking, ice cream & cofee making gear on.

Someone else stepped in and managed to shove 2 phases where there should have been 1 phase & a neutral ......

The cafe was closed for two days while another spark replaced the scorched db etc.

Reply to Lost a Job in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock