Discuss Loud buzzing, dangerous or just annoying? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

There is a loud buzzing from the cupboard that appears only at off peak times. Loud enough for us to have to wear earplugs at night.

There is a seperate single breaker switch below my off peak breaker board. I have identified this as the source of the noise as the tone and volume changes if I push the housing.

What is this box and does it need replacing?

Thanks

View attachment 1513149102203519287031.jpg

View attachment 1513149132596954952958.jpg

Hi all,

There is a loud buzzing from the cupboard that appears only at off peak times. Loud enough for us to have to wear earplugs at night.

There is a seperate single breaker switch below my off peak breaker board. I have identified this as the source of the noise as the tone and volume changes if I push the housing.

What is this box and does it need replacing?

Thanks

View attachment 39721

View attachment 39722
Looks like a Contactor, a sort of relay for the uninitiated DIYer.
I would imagine it's getting warm? the buzzing could be many things, lose connections, chatter on the magnetic surfaces on the contactor, advice: get a Sparky in to take a look could be an easy fix or an easy change but I would get it looked at ASAP.
Where in the UK are you?

Last edited:
Looks like a Contactor, a sort of relay for the uninitiated DIYer.
I would imagine it's getting warm? the buzzing could be many things, lose connections, chatter on the magnetic surfaces on the contactor, advice: get a Sparky in to take a look could be an easy fix or an easy change but I would get it looked at ASAP.
Where in the UK are you?

My landlord brought in an electrician and apparently he said that he fixed the contact and that the buzzing is very minimal "like switching on a dimmer switch" and said that it will be as it is and there is nothing any other electrician can do.

I'm not convinced. I've never heard a dimmer through 2 doors!

My landlord brought in an electrician and apparently he said that he fixed the contact and that the buzzing is very minimal "like switching on a dimmer switch" and said that it will be as it is and there is nothing any other electrician can do.

I'm not convinced. I've never heard a dimmer through 2 doors!
Your landlord sounds typical, a cheap fix or in this case a not fix, it needs replacing, could cause a fire if left, as others have said contactor's can and do buzz but not to extent of your's, by the sound of it, was the electrician, actually an electrician, or the LLs Mr fix it all?

As said this is chatter from the contacts. It is possible to clean and re-grind the faces down reducing the noise significantly. But there does come a point where replacement is the only option and they are not cheap so yeh maybe your landlord is going the easy route. And of course an implied covenant in any tenancy is to have quiet and peaceful enjoyment in your property which sounds like it is being breached? However if it is off-peak then the supplier of the tariff should fix it as it is their equipment.

Reply to Loud buzzing, dangerous or just annoying? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net