Discuss Low current rating on Bathroom fans in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
A while back whilst connecting a bathroom fan via a 3 pole isolator, I noticed that it was only rated at 3A, whereas the MCB for the lighting circuit would normally be rated at 6A
I know that pendant drops become the fusible link in that part of the system, but it occured to me that many of these bathroom extractor fans seem to be provided with very small guage wiring and connections ( linked to a PCB for the timer)
recently during an Inspection it was pointed out to me and I was asked how I would get around it ???
I checked the paperwork for the most common types of fans in use and most seem to be rated at 3A
so now I install a FCU outisde the bathroom to reduce the current to the light and then the fan to 3 A
any other ways of doing this ?
any one else noticed this

course they's wrong. the flex would overheat and go all gooey. a bit like that silly programme on daytime telly. loose crumpet. if the ocpd did not trip.

well its the only part of the lighting circuit that has not got its own fuse<br>
I was taught 40 years ago that the flex int he event of the lampholder shorting will act as a fuse<br>
Its still taught now<br>
but of course those people may possibly be wrong ?

Never heard of the like, the pendant flex acting as a fuse??? Where is this taught??

must be at least .5mm of stranded copper, id like to see how thats gonna add any additional protection with a 6amp mcb or 5 amp fuse link up stream

think someones been winding u up

The 3amp fuse protection for fans is a total get out clause for the companies who make cheap fans as a few of them have caught fire, and to install timer versions with an additional 3amp protection is a pain to do for the installer and unsightly most of the time

well its the only part of the lighting circuit that has not got its own fuse
I was taught 40 years ago that the flex int he event of the lampholder shorting will act as a fuse
Its still taught now

Who taught you this out of interest?

Can honestly say i was not taught this at college, probably for a good reason too.

well its the only part of the lighting circuit that has not got its own fuse
I was taught 40 years ago that the flex int he event of the lampholder shorting will act as a fuse
Its still taught now

Utter nonsense! In the event of a short in the lamp holder the OCPD will operate the same as any other part of the circuit,

Whilst quite obviously,a pendant drop is NOT a fusible link,the cable for the drop is not "calculated" in the same manner as the circuit cable,and old school explanations for this,have sounded similar to the OPs' remark,wrong as it is. I'm sure ceiling roses are right at the beginning,if not one of the first,BS numbers,which gives an indication of how long they have remained unaffected by legislation. If the OP is indeed in a foreign land,he may well be referencing older journals...just a thought :conehead:

You mean BS67? Crikey, I shouldn't know that number by heart... must get out more! But it was revised as recently as 1987.

0.75 flex is OK as the lamp is a fixed load and it will be protected against S/C by 16A OCPD which is the max permitted for ES or BC lampholders.

It would work as a fuse if your lighting circuit is tapped directly into the service cable though.

Tried this one?
Low current rating on Bathroom fans {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Reply to Low current rating on Bathroom fans in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock