Discuss Low energy downlighters & building control in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

Reg Man

Building control want me to use 25% low energy downlighters in an extension I have just wired. No problem there except they will now NOT except downlighters with a CFL GU10 or a LED GU10. It must be a fitting that uses a PL type lamp so the customer can't just put halogens back in after being signed off.
Does anyone know of any neat fittings for situation. I'm not looking for bulky commecial type PL fittings. They need to be similar size to halogen type gimballs say. What's everyone else doing with new builds?.
Another building control officer has just failed me also for not using PL pendants. 'Can't use Low energy BC type bulbs anymore mate, you guys just take them out after we sign off'

Crazy

Tricky one really.

I am using LE Gu10's on a refurb and BC were happy with them. I did three flats a while ago with same and no issues there either.

A new build i am doing i did use PL pendants tho.

Maybe a quick call to your scheme provider will help.

Not sure what else you could do, unless anyone else has any ideas.

'Can't use Low energy BC type bulbs anymore mate, you guys just take them out after we sign off'

And the DIY customer won't mess with the electrics ever again after it has been signed off - yeah right!

Ask BC to supply you a list of fittings that they would like to be install........that will knacker them up!

The NICEIC & NAPIT training they have probably undertaken might not have gone that far.....

Trouble is Mr G is that they dont have to tell us anything, only what we need to do to comply.

So, if the man says you cant use them then thats that.

Building control want me to use 25% low energy downlighters in an extension I have just wired. No problem there except they will now NOT except downlighters with a CFL GU10 or a LED GU10. It must be a fitting that uses a PL type lamp so the customer can't just put halogens back in after being signed off.
Does anyone know of any neat fittings for situation. I'm not looking for bulky commecial type PL fittings. They need to be similar size to halogen type gimballs say. What's everyone else doing with new builds?.
Another building control officer has just failed me also for not using PL pendants. 'Can't use Low energy BC type bulbs anymore mate, you guys just take them out after we sign off'

Crazy
agree crazy situation----is your extension just one room or have you other rooms that you can use your 25% up in?With 2d's or pl pendants.
Robus do a 13 or 14watt pl downlight with a cut out size of 70mm,overall size 90mm and they are made in Ireland so you should be able to get hold of them.

This energy efficency nonsence is a pile of s**t. Its Sad!
You the customer pays enough to buy a house, extention etc... but is then limited to what fittings he can but up. It really is sad and gets on my nerves!!!

Crazy
hello regman,
today I read in a LIDL flyer that by september 2009 the selling of light bulbs with a 'G' energy rating will be banned eu wide.....Not being sure what kind of lamps were in each class I googled eu energy rating lamps.and came accross: 2008_12_08_technical briefing_household_lamps.pdf-
sorry I can't get it to you as a link BUT it talks about various lamps and the good news is low voltage halogen Lamps give a 25% saving when compared to incandescent.However mains voltage halogen only give a saving of 15%
So the craic is LV -OK, GU10-not OK............ok?;)

Bc, should mind there own business and not dictate what the client chooses as means of light. ----ers

Again, very true, however, if they feel that not enough provision has been made for LE lighting then they can make things very difficult for the client.

So, all in all, its best to try and comply.

I really appreciate your thoughts chaps. It is a pain in the a***.
BUT I have found another way around it. Don't spin any holes in ceiling and say to BC there is no main light, just standard lamps plugged into wall and spin downlighters in once signed off.

Oh Will, have seen Aurora ones also but Jesus they are a thieving bunch of gits the prices they want. Its OK for one or two but if you have 20+ in a bigger new build. My god its costly.

Warren, yes I will ask BC to recommend a fitting just out of badness!

Keep you posted

Crazy
12volt downlighters DO comply

how do they?
Because they use 25% less energy than incandescents.?
I am not a lighting designer so this is just my view.The maths could also be wrong.consider ths example: I have 100 50watt mains voltage downlights.
100x50=5000watt
now,BC want me to fit 25% of these with energy saving type(90% efficiency)
5000-25%=3750(plus 10% of 1250)=3875.
now plan B fit all low voltage.
5000-25%=3750
So in my view they appear to use less energy than their recommendation.?

Because they use 25% less energy than incandescents.?
I am not a lighting designer so this is just my view.The maths could also be wrong.consider ths example: I have 100 50watt mains voltage downlights.
100x50=5000watt
now,BC want me to fit 25% of these with energy saving type(90% efficiency)
5000-25%=3750(plus 10% of 1250)=3875.
now plan B fit all low voltage.
5000-25%=3750
So in my view they appear to use less energy than their recommendation.?

I understand what your saying there and I know they are better than incandescants but the fact is they are not low energy, just low voltage. They still draw bigger currents because of their wattage compared to a 11W CFL lamp or similar. BC aren't having any of it anyway.

I agree, this power saving lamps trend is a pile of tosh, am i right in thinking that the consumers meter shows a reduced load, but because of poor power factor correction, the energy pulled from the power generation sets is still as high as a tungsten lamp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys,
The CFL GU10's that we have used have been physically larger than a standard GU10 as is the fitting thus the customer could not retro fit normal GU10's.

Regards,
Lofty.

Hi there had similar hassle from BC got in touch with supplier um rexel who contacted JCC who supplied downlighters gu10 fitting cfl lamp the fitting would only take le cfl lamp not cheap got 11w megaman lamps about £25 per fitting £ 10 for lamp passed BC though made them look at one first as they still didn't say they were L1 compliant but they are.

Reply to Low energy downlighters & building control in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock