Discuss Low Insulation Resistance Readings in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

danielspencer

Hi there,

I have a customer that wants some lights fitted to an existing circuit.

When doing some preliminary testing on the insulation resistance for the circuit, I was getting strange readings. Line/Earth & Neutral/Earth were well over 500Mohms. When testing Line/Neutral, I was getting only 0.5Mohms. Line/Neutral connected together and tested to Earth are also well over 500Mohms.

Some of the lamps are really awkward to get to, and the customer would prefer it if I try not to remove them. I decided to carry out the test with all the local switches in the OFF position.

As far as I can make out all the light fittings are BC with no low energy or SELV fittings in sight.

I know I don't strictly have to carry out and record this test, but if anyone has any ideas why the Line/Neutral reading is so low, I would appreciate the input.

Many thanks:confused:

If L/N is low then there is possibly a PIR sensor or something else, un-isolated on the circuit somewhere.

Thats why your L/N - E readings are clear.

Reply to Low Insulation Resistance Readings in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hello all, I hope you're all keeping well. I have a question regarding insulation resistance testing. Whether doing a single circuit IR test or...
Replies
Views
I have got these questions on 2391-52 inspection and testing but can't remember option of 1st two questions. Please any suggestion will be...
Replies
Views
During an insulation resistance test IR at an EICR I measured 0.0014 MegOhms from line to earth. When I disconnected the neutral from the neutral...
Replies
Views
I want to check the insulation of the 3-phase 400VAC asynchronous squirrel cage motor. Motor's stator windings are connected in delta. I've read...
Replies
Views
Slightly strange one this, replaced a few socket fronts in a dining room today, all wiring original but new plasterboard on a studded wall. Its a...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock