Discuss Low Voltage Garden Lights/CCTV in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

skidoo

DIY
Reaction score
Hello all,

I’m pretty uninitiated in electrics and wonder if this garden installation is possible and what I might need to achieve it. I have a garden room which I am finishing and having wiring put in. I will have 240v external sockets and bare cable that can be wired directly to a transformer if needed. I wish to place two EZVIZ EzGuard security cameras on the Garden Room. They each come with a DVE Switching Adapter (input 240v 0.5A, output +12V 1A, Efficiency Level 'V').

834-CF952-AB82-4-C80-A692-B487-FD772838.jpg

I also wish to run some garden lights starting from the garden room running along all along the garden wall. The first 10 - 15m of the wall will be draped in some LED fairy lights, and the next 10 - 15m further along the wall will continue with 6 bollard/post lights (about 50cm high ones). From a cursory glance it looks like 2 x 10m LED light strings would be 2W each (4W), and 6 x LED bollard lights about 2W each (12W). I would like all three zones switched independently.

My first question is, can these all be run off one transformer, and if so, which one is suitable? If not should I install 3 transformers? One for both cameras, one for the fairy lights and one for the bollard lights? 12 or 24V for the lights? I know there are generic transformers and also generic lights out there, and there are also bespoke ones from the likes of Techmar, in-lite and Konstsmide. Is it easy enough to work with the off-the-shelf stuff or much better to go with these all-in-one premium brands?

Secondly, is it possible to switch the two sets of lights independently and does this mean they must be powered by separate transformers? Can they be controlled wirelessly with a Kinetic Self-powered Wireless Remote Control and receiver like the Curv CV05 on the output of the transformer? The details are:

s-l1600.png

Wireless Receiver: CV05
Power Supply Input: 220V - 230V AC, 50/60HZ
Output Type / Channel Numbers: “On” or “Off” output of power supply / 1 channel Max Load 5A
Load Of Filament Lamp: 500W
Load Of Fluorescent Lamp: 200W
Load of LED: 200W
Static Power Consumption: <1W

16w @ 12v =1.33A
So any transformer that has a rating of 1.5A or more will do
Thanks for the reply. If I run both sets of lights off one like that, will I be able to control them independently with two wireless receivers? I also understand that LED lights are really prone to instability and for low loads I might be better with a a regulated 12v DC power supply rather than a transformer to avoid over voltage. Is that correct?

Also, some transformers seem really cheap! Can anyone recommend good, reliable ones? I don't mind cheap obviously, I just don't want something that will be wired into my garden room and then pack up in 6 months time. Thanks all.

So I think I'll stick with this sort of plan:

240v A/C --> Curv CV05 receivers --> controlling two of these 12v transformers:

Techmar 12V 22W Outdoor Transformer - https://www.gardenlightshop.com/transformers/169-techmar-12v-22w-outdoor-transformer-6046011.html

one for the 2 LED light strings, and one for the 6 bollard lights.

Excuse the building site, but this is what I'm working on:

BA410344-6805-41-D8-BA89-141385202-F21.j

FC58-EFB2-15-F9-42-F6-9-B73-2270-B3-FCD9

The main thing I'm struggling with is the location for the wiring and transformers. I'd planned to place it all discretely in a corner of a side-shelter next to my garden room. It'll be up against the ceiling on either the 6x2 timber head plate, or the brick wall next to it. The wiring is currently wired through the rafters up to this point. The problem is I was hoping for a small discrete box containing transformers and receivers that would be fed by that mains cable. Instead all the solutions seem to require 3-pin plugs which in turn would require one of those enormous outdoor IP68 2-gang sockets. That would take up a large and prominent area of the line of sight when sat on benches in that covered area:

865-F4-B47-569-C-422-C-9389-C761-A3-A45-

The lights will then travel along this wall, one zone for 10m and another zone for the next 10m:

59-B8-EFDC-11-C9-43-FF-A8-B7-5-D008-E9-A

D3539333-900-D-49-CD-9277-06864394-E665.

Is there a way of doing the supply avoiding the need for a 2-gang mains socket?

Reply to Low Voltage Garden Lights/CCTV in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net