Discuss low voltage heaters in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

brendan

Hi

I'm looking for some advice on low voltage heaters I have a 390w heater that runs of 24v dc but the transformer seems really big are these types of heaters as energy efficient as they claim to be?

cheers

Well a heater is a heater ....is a heater. I'm not sure how one linear heating load could be more efficient than another. A 390watt heater using 24vdc will produce exactly the same amount of heat that a 390watt heater at 230vac. I was going to suggest it would actually be less efficient using a transformer to supply the heater due to the losses involved but as the losses all resolve as heat you wouldn't actually lose anything because the transformer will also heat the room ;)

and it will be big. 390W @240v is only 1.625A, but @ 24V it's 16.25A.

Reply to low voltage heaters in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi. I know this probably isn't the most fitting platform to post this question, but I was racking my brain where I could get an answer to my...
Replies
Views
Firstly, thank you for taking the time to read this. I am not trained in electrics whatsoever, I am a just a home owner looking for advice. I...
Replies
Views
Extremely low voltage on 120v line Hi, I’m not an electrician but my home has 20 amp breaker that has only one outdoor outlet on it with a GFCI...
Replies
Views
Been round to a house to quote to replace some storage heaters for new panel heaters and came across a strange (to me at least) way of wiring the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have just had an EICR carried out and it has comeback with a few C2s. The only one I disagree with is the electrician raised as a C2 the...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock