Discuss Low voltage in 120 circuit ? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

rbbmcghee

DIY
Reaction score
I have a voltage of 23v coming through a light socket in my house (There is a rely that is likely the cause but I’m not certain 1950s house) when I look up charts on how much energy it takes to power a light bulb it’s very low- or I’m not understanding something. I know the resistance on the light fixture is 8.6 ohms. The wire is buried into a header that was just installed so I’m trying not to have to dig through anything- any ideas?

I have a voltage of 23v coming through a light socket in my house (There is a rely that is likely the cause but I’m not certain 1950s house) when I look up charts on how much energy it takes to power a light bulb it’s very low- or I’m not understanding something. I know the resistance on the light fixture is 8.6 ohms. The wire is buried into a header that was just installed so I’m trying not to have to dig through anything- any ideas?
Are you sure that you don’t have a dimmer switch and really can’t understand why there is a relay involved. It is possible that there is a loose neutral at the light fixture. All lights should be on 120vac circuit but I guess it would light up but be very dim. Good luck

Are you sure that you don’t have a dimmer switch and really can’t understand why there is a relay involved. It is possible that there is a loose neutral at the light fixture. All lights should be on 120vac circuit but I guess it would light up but be very dim. Good luck
I found out there is 1 volt going through (ghost voltage) once I put the low z setting on my clamp meter. I have another light on the same circuit that is fine, and is also attached to the same dimmer. The relay is there because that was style back in the 50s I guess. To make things easier to operate. I’m going to have to bite down and get rid of it.

I found out there is 1 volt going through (ghost voltage) once I put the low z setting on my clamp meter. I have another light on the same circuit that is fine, and is also attached to the same dimmer. The relay is there because that was style back in the 50s I guess. To make things easier to operate. I’m going to have to bite down and get rid of it.
I truly believe that you have the knowledge to figure your lights out and check your specific light for a loose connection on your neutral.

I truly believe that you have the knowledge to figure your lights out and check your specific light for a loose connection on your neutral.
The wire to the light has no power. I put a plug on the light outlet and it worked. I’m going to get a toner and see if I can trace it.

The wire to the light has no power. I put a plug on the light outlet and it worked. I’m going to get a toner and see if I can trace it.
Good luck and if we can help you can always come back

Reply to Low voltage in 120 circuit ? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net