Discuss Low voltage Leds for serial loop. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi folks. I'm guessing this forum is for larger electrical applications than this, and if anyone can point me to a more relevant site please do. But I thought I'd give you guys a punt.

I have a need to put 5 leds in a 1:10 remote controlled vehicle. There isn't room (without it looking really naff) to run5 leds each with it's own resistor, so I need to put them together in serial. I have no problem with this, but the kicker is; I have to run them from a 7.2v battery.

The lowest voltage leds I have tucked away in the toolbox are 3v. So that isn't going to work. I can't use those strip leds as I need to put a single led into a single miniature model light.

I also have to add there is next to bugger all space in this model where I can tuck things away unnoticed.

Anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks.

The forward voltage of an LED depends on the colour - shorter wavelengths need higher voltages, and white LEDs are based on blue chips. Therefore they need >3V and there is no way around this. You will either need to produce somewhere around 20V with a step-up converter, and run them in series, or better use something like two MAX1916 3-channel PWM programmable constant current drivers. See: https://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/MAX1916.pdf

This would involve running one wire back from each LED that could be tiny - an enamelled 30SWG wire would do - to the driver. They are only 3 x 3 x 1mm thick, so not difficult to hide, and the programming resistor can be tiny - an 0201 size would be fine (so small you will struggle to solder to it).

There are many alternative drivers, falling into two main groups - ones for single-cell applications that include a charge-pump step-up, and those for higher voltages that run direct from the supply which is the flavour you want.

Reply to Low voltage Leds for serial loop. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net