• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.
SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Low voltage reading on OFF circuit in the American Professional Electrical Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

On standard residential house wiring (USA).
Working on a single circuit with the circuit breaker in OFF position at the wall.

When connecting a decent (Klein) multi-meter to black and neutral (white) wires I see a low voltage reading of .4260 (POINT four two six zero) showing on the multi-meter screen.

Does this reading mean something is wrong? Or can any one explain why I would see the low voltage reading when circuit is OFF?

Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
digital meters will give silly readings like this. you can even get similar without the leads connected to anything. nothing to worry about.

Sintra

Admin
Supporter
More than likely just a little induced voltage from another circuit.

Megawatt

-
Arms
Advent Win
On standard residential house wiring (USA).
Working on a single circuit with the circuit breaker in OFF position at the wall.

When connecting a decent (Klein) multi-meter to black and neutral (white) wires I see a low voltage reading of .4260 (POINT four two six zero) showing on the multi-meter screen.

Does this reading mean something is wrong? Or can any one explain why I would see the low voltage reading when circuit is OFF?
Harry You have a multi function meter and if you had the power on and you read point .4260 it sounds to me like you have your meter on the wrong setting or you have tamper resistance receptacles

Megawatt

-
Arms
Advent Win
Harry You have a multi function meter and if you had the power on and you read point .4260 it sounds to me like you have your meter on the wrong setting or you have tamper resistance receptacles
Harry I miss read that you have the power off and your meter is probably fluxulating. It’s reading millivolts you have no problem with your meter

static zap

-
Advent Win
Capacitance is the "technical"cause
but 0.4 V is nothing to worry about.
(unless you are reading DC /when should be on AC !)

Reply to Low voltage reading on OFF circuit in the American Professional Electrical Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier

Select the ways in which you gain online business

• MyBuilder.com

• Federation of Master Builders

• CheckaTrade.com

• RatedPeople.com

• TrustaTrader.com

• Which? (TrustedTraders.Which.co.uk)

• MyJobQuote.co.uk

• Yell.com

• Google Paid Advertising

• Own Website with Natural Ranking (SEO'd website)

• Social Media (Facebook Twitter Instagram etc)

• Word of Mouth Only for me

Results are only viewable after voting.
Top Bottom