Discuss LOW ZE READINGS in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Farmelectrics

-
Arms
Reaction score
carrying out an eicr on a building recently we found the external ze reading to be extremely low ie 0.02ohms. so by measurement and testing are fault current read 20ka. now most of the mcbs rcbos ets have an icn of 10kohms. this poses a problem as obvisoluy the mcbs etc would self destruct under fault conditions. what would you code this and more importantly how would we rectify this problem, Interested to here your thoughts.

2 options available,

1 extend the supply cable by running a length of swa from incomer to fuseboard, 50m would probably bring the reading down enough.

2 change the breakers to a higher rating of fault current.

I had a case where I was measuring about 3m away from transformer and the meter was giving readings that were far higher than I expected.
changed the values on cert. to what the transformer manufacturer stated.

are you suggesting I cheat and higher the ze reading. ha ha
not cheat,
figure can be found by measurement or investigation.

if the transformer manufacturer says max pfc is 20Ka and the meter reads 92Ka then the manufacturer wins on my paperwork.

all the meters suggest that they may be inaccurate when close to transformer but not 1 of them says in the instructions that below x meters away you should ignore the reading on meter!!

Julie were would I find the let through value and are you talking about the main incomer fuses
Yes, so if they are say bs88 industrial fuses, anything below about 125A would be less than 10kA let through for 20kA perspective.

You need the manufacturer's data, there will be a curve showing this data, select 20kA on the prospective axis and follow it until it reaches the appropriate fuse line/curve then on the other axis you can read the actual let through current

Here's an example if you select 20kA on the lhs and go across to the 100A fuse line, then follow it down - or up, it gives a let through of 9kALOW ZE READINGS Screenshot_20201022-204047_Drive - EletriciansForums.net

ok I understand that thank you. so the breakers in the dbs that we have tested are all Schneider type, and there all 10ka breaking capacity and with a fault current of 20ka. so if I look into the let through value and that's above 10ka im happy to code 2 it. But if the client asks how we resolve it were do I go with it . thanks in advance

LOW ZE READINGS 1603395038683 - EletriciansForums.net Like Quote Reply

At 0.02 ohms you're way outside the range of accuracy for any normal tester.

Make a 3 separate Zs tests at a socket at least 10 or 15 meters away from the point of supply. Note the average result.

Remeasure the Zs 3 times with a wander lead in series with the tester earth lead and take the average reading. Hopefully it's at least 0.5 ohms, if it's much less try find a socket outlet that's further away from the supply and use that one instead.

Take the first Zs reading from the second Zs reading to get an accurate measurement for the wanderlead.

Use the wanderlead in series with your tester earth probe and take a Ze measurement.

Take your test result and subtract the known wanderlead impedance. This should give you a far more accurate Ze result

Even if the new and hopefully more accurate result is 0.01 or 0.02 ohms higher than your original result it will have a profound effect on the fault current by calculation.

Ran into a very similar issue today in a nasty Barratt flat. Ze of 0.08, but L-N 0.03 according to my Megger, though it gave me a calculated pfc of 6.3k which suggests it was calculating to more digits than it was showing me.

Anyway, sub main to the flat 16mm T&E protected by a 63A MCB with 6kA rating. Also a main fuse somewhere, but not in the same building it appears (red fuselink).

Given that the source feed is an MEM enclosure with MEM breaker, and the flat board is LeGrand throughout, I'm assuming I can rely on the type testing for 16kA so no need to consider coding in my case.

As pointed out, the extra 0.01 can make quite a difference.

Sadly MFT don't have the option for 4-lead Kelvin style measurements, and the ones that do cost something like x10 more so not an option for most folk :(

GN3 points out the impact that the odd 0.01 ohm error can make at high PFC value.

As Julie already mentioned, if there is the typical incomer BS88 fuse of 100A or so it is going to limit the PFC let-through to a value that will be safe. Remember, fuses are your friend!

Reply to LOW ZE READINGS in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock