Discuss Lutron Homeworks QS - anyone installed or set up this system? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

stimpy

Got this come up on a job i'm tendering for. Will speak to designer shortly and get better spec out of her. It has only been specced for the lights - which having read about it seems to be limiting its capability hugely. I get the feeling the only real reason it's been specced is for iphone/android control of a regular scene set lighting set up - obviously with some further whole house controlling.

Have done the usual Grafik eye, Rako etc installs but not this. Looks a bit more in depth and for the techies (certainly for programming)...

If i've understood its installation correctly, one would have a central ' networked ' point /cabinet where all your controllers would be housed with all lights and switches wired back to. The qs wallstations run on 24v then a daisy chained network back to their relative controller which in turn is controlled by the QS system. Much like how the Grafik eyes could be installed in one cabinet but with networking capability? It's the latter part of controls in the cabinet + their networking that's new...

Any info appreciated

Got this come up on a job i'm tendering for. Will speak to designer shortly and get better spec out of her. It has only been specced for the lights - which having read about it seems to be limiting its capability hugely. I get the feeling the only real reason it's been specced is for iphone/android control of a regular scene set lighting set up - obviously with some further whole house controlling.

Have done the usual Grafik eye, Rako etc installs but not this. Looks a bit more in depth and for the techies (certainly for programming)...

If i've understood its installation correctly, one would have a central ' networked ' point /cabinet where all your controllers would be housed with all lights and switches wired back to. The qs wallstations run on 24v then a daisy chained network back to their relative controller which in turn is controlled by the QS system. Much like how the Grafik eyes could be installed in one cabinet but with networking capability? It's the latter part of controls in the cabinet + their networking that's new...

Any info appreciated
Just connectting up control panel now,over 300 light points,radials back to panel,numbered & connected into appropriate terminals.Commissioning guy will program all,into PC etc,major problem I got,is connecting led's,lamps,drivers onto 1.5 mm t&e.This installation as limited voids to hide joint boxes,so connection big prob.

Thanks for the reply cliffed.

If i understand correctly you are struggling to connect to the lighting controls or the actual fittings or both?. I presume you've got the gear in a bespoke cabinet? Having had a look at some of these installs now it certainly seems worthwhile overspeccing the cabinet size slightly to accomodate the mass of cables.

Is your install controlling other features than just the lighting?

Out of interest who are you having commission it? And do you have any pics if i pm'd you my email perhaps?.

Thanks.

I've installed and commissioned two full Homeworks QS systems so far. Essentially, you will have a central panel which will house all of the dimmer modules, power interfaces, control interfaces, motor modules and the processor. Each lighting zone will be wired back to a dimmer or relay port.

Belden 9418 will be used to supply all wall stations, this can be daisy chained for up to 100 devices. Belden will also be used for window treatments, so from each motor module to each blind.

Commissioning is a relatively simple process but time wise can depend on the overall scale of the project. It's a simple task of assigning each zone and each wall station action and programming the scenes but can take forever when you've got say 30 wall stations and over 150 zones with blinds in each room!

The capabilities of a Homeworks system are endless when it comes to lighting and blind control. They've definitely specced the best system on the market!

I've installed and commissioned two full Homeworks QS systems so far. Essentially, you will have a central panel which will house all of the dimmer modules, power interfaces, control interfaces, motor modules and the processor. Each lighting zone will be wired back to a dimmer or relay port.

Belden 9418 will be used to supply all wall stations, this can be daisy chained for up to 100 devices. Belden will also be used for window treatments, so from each motor module to each blind.

Commissioning is a relatively simple process but time wise can depend on the overall scale of the project. It's a simple task of assigning each zone and each wall station action and programming the scenes but can take forever when you've got say 30 wall stations and over 150 zones with blinds in each room!

The capabilities of a Homeworks system are endless when it comes to lighting and blind control. They've definitely specced the best system on the market!
dont really like 9418 id rather use 8770.

much better to strip etc, we did one of these systems a while ago and there very simple

supply to box, line through relay then onto lights.

this will turn them on and off then the belden from the control box to lights like mr skelton above explained

dont really like 9418 id rather use 8770.

much better to strip etc, we did one of these systems a while ago and there very simple

supply to box, line through relay then onto lights.

this will turn them on and off then the belden from the control box to lights like mr skelton above explained

8770 is only a three conductor cable. Suitable for blinds but not for wall stations as you need two MUX data links. Two twisted pair (shielded) is what Lutron specify and they won't guarantee the product if the wrong wiring is used. My pet hate is idiots using cat5 to wire their wall stations.

8770 is only a three conductor cable. Suitable for blinds but not for wall stations as you need two MUX data links. Two twisted pair (shielded) is what Lutron specify and they won't guarantee the product if the wrong wiring is used. My pet hate is idiots using cat5 to wire their wall stations.
fair enough, the lights etc we used only had 2 connections. 0-10 bassically

i know bugger all about these automation systems and it looks like i may have an install coming up next month. where's the best place to get info?

so you don't hit it with a hammer then?

Reply to Lutron Homeworks QS - anyone installed or set up this system? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net