Discuss Maglock not working properly in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just wired a maglock/intercom/phone door security system, but for some reason, the door magnet only locks when the unlock button is pressed on the intercom phone. That is to say, it's working the opposite way to how it should be working.

As far as I can see, I've checked and double checked the wiring diagram and all seems okay, but the maglock doesn't lock by default. It only locks when the unlock button is pressed on the intercom phone (Fermax).

I've attached the wiring diagram, as well the mains supply/battery I'm using.

Any ideas??

Cheers folks.

Attachments

• Maglock not working properly Esquema-FILEminimizer - EletriciansForums.net
    Esquema-FILEminimizer.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Maglock not working properly 20191112_192237 - EletriciansForums.net
    20191112_192237.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Maglock not working properly 20191112_192257 - EletriciansForums.net
    20191112_192257.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 44
Read the programming instructions,
some locks are power to lock, some are power to release.
there should be some info about how to wire and program each option.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm a bit of a novice - I've wired this up myself in my office using the wiring diagram (bit of an enthusiast!).

What do you mean by the relay connection being wrong?

Thanks.
I think he means you may be connected to normally open (so connection is closed causing lock to engage when button is pressed) rather than normally closed, so when button is pressed the contact opens therefore releasing the lock

I think that controller is designed for a magnetically released lock latch for use with a standard lock.
The latch is fixed to the frame and will work as normal with a key in case of power failure. When you press the button, the latch has a swivel part which is magnetically released and allows the door to open with the lock locked. Similar to the attached link.

I think he means you may be connected to normally open (so connection is closed causing lock to engage when button is pressed) rather than normally closed, so when button is pressed the contact opens therefore releasing the lock

This is definitely the issue, but I can't seem to figure out how to rectify it. I've attached a photo of the wiring of the intercom phone if that helps?
[automerge]1573760056[/automerge]
I think that controller is designed for a magnetically released lock latch for use with a standard lock.
The latch is fixed to the frame and will work as normal with a key in case of power failure. When you press the button, the latch has a swivel part which is magnetically released and allows the door to open with the lock locked. Similar to the attached link.

The supplier I bought it from assured me it can be used with the maglock I bought with it. It's a Z/L bracket maglock fitted above the door.

I guess I'll have to give them a call tomorrow to double check with them.

Attachments

• Maglock not working properly Screenshot_20191114-192818_WhatsA - EletriciansForums.net
    Screenshot_20191114-192818_WhatsApp.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
It sounds like the supplier may have to provide you with a wiring diagram/method,to enable the maglock,to function.

If it requires a permanent supply,to maintain security...may need thinking about :)

It may be worth checking that the supply transformer can operate at the required duty cycle.

You can reverse the function of some locks.
Looks like you can do with this one, the instruction should be with it.
However if this is in a Communal Area or fire exit route there are other issues to consider;

When we used to fit them we would connect a 12 volt ac relay in the place of the lock which would switch a 12 volt DC power supply for the maglock you will also need a press to exit switch to get back out the door along with an emergency green break glass

have you got the correct power source for the maglock? I noticed you have ac but don't see dc. I had the same recently with a different manufacturer and they didn't supply all the relays and wiring diagrams as the maglock was an option, even though the customer asked for the maglock option.

Reply to Maglock not working properly in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock