Discuss Magnetic keyfob switches.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

Engineer54

Been trying to locate a manufacturer and/or supplier of magnetic key fob switches, but can't seem to find anything i'm looking for.

The scenario is this, ..I have a rental 2 bed villa on a complex in Cyprus, that i rent out to holiday makers during the season. The couple looking after it and doing the cleaning etc, between lettings have informed me of an exorbitant electrical bill for last month due to the clients leaving all the AC units on virtually 24 hours a day, even when they were out for most of the day and evenings...

So my intention is to hook-up a magnetic switch that controls all the AC circuits in the villa. The magnetic key fob being welded to the front and back door key's (single key ring). So if they go out, they have to remove the magnetic key fob from the switch thus disabling the AC's from being left on!! ...lol!!

I'm assuming that the magnetic switch will control the AC circuits via individual 16 A relays or a single 40/45A contactor (i have room for individual relays in the DB). But i'd like to be sure and would appreciate if anyone could post a link on these magnetic switches and or systems... It's a real time problem searching the web through the bamboo curtain, even with the VFN i have!! (or whatever it's called) Thanks for any information you may forward in advance, much appreciated too...

i stayed in a hotel once where you had to have the room key card in a slot/holder in the room for the electric to work.
it was part of there green hotel crusade. they kept going on about using rain water in the toilets and heat recovery for the heating system etc.

i was thinking the same as alarm man, but yes ive been hotels where the card has to stay in for the electrics to operate, but im sure you can make a device from odds and ends in your pockets

We operate a system where a fob is inserted to bring on the power. All circuits except one socket go through a contactor which is operated by inserting the fob. The door is locked by a key securely attached to the fob, this prevents the room being locked with the power on.

The trouble by is I can't remember the manufacturer, but if you can wait til tomorrow I can post details

It's cheap and off the shelf, and can have a neon locator, woo hoo.

Last edited:
i stayed in a hotel once where you had to have the room key card in a slot/holder in the room for the electric to work.
it was part of there green hotel crusade. they kept going on about using rain water in the toilets and heat recovery for the heating system etc.

A lot of hotels have this system. Most can simply be over ridden with a simple card from your wallet.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

A lot of hotels have this system. Most can simply be over ridden with a simple card from your wallet.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Ours can be over ridden by a teaspoon!!!

E54, if you want I can do a supply and fit job. If you cover travel costs, lol.

A quick search here has revealed the following companies that supply card keys of the sort you are looking for
HS Series Card Key Switches
Hotel card energy saving switches
::SAVEKEY::

I have not read them in detail although the Diyses one states it does not need a contactor.
I do not know if they would supply to Cyprus, but worth asking.
Seem to be a lot of hits from Made in China such as this one the Mifare seems to be popular. Might get one locally!

Further to my post #5. The units are Elkay keytag kt2, sorry its not a link but don't know how to do that on my phone. Depending on load you want to switch a contactor may not be needed.

Reply to Magnetic keyfob switches.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net