Discuss Magnetic lock timer not working. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Tried fitting a magnetic lock on a job for a bathroom. Client has had problems with people doing drugs in his bathroom so wanted to control entry from his shop tills so the lock is fitted and works but I need it to be sorta timed as when releasing, the button locks the door( staff can't use the toilet without one of them holding the button for the other) I'll attach a diagram of what I've done can someone let me know what I've done wrong?

Badly drawn diagram: 1641480108519-615884853 - https://ibb.co/C7yb6Js

DB= distribution board
T= transformer pack
Ml=magnetic lock
Pbb =push button at tills
Pbd =push button inside bathroom

First time wiring up a mag lock and I have no diagram

Looking at the drawing, the wiring is wrong if this is a maglock that you have installed, the release buttons need to be in series in order to drop the power to the lock in order to release it.

The drawing shows the buttons in Parallel so this will cause a short circuit on the lock supply, so I cannot see how it works at all if it is wired to the drawing.

A timer is always the best option, I have used loads of these without a problem;

I think I may have done my diagram wrong to how I've wired it.

Here's the transformer with my feed coming in and a flex leading out to my first switch

Feed in
IMG_20220107_090859.jpg

Cable out to the switchIMG_20220107_090938.jpg

First switch in the till station white labled as n.cIMG_20220107_091054.jpgnext switch inside the bathroomIMG_20220107_090751.jpg
Finally the mag lock itselfIMG_20220107_091123.jpg

Do you have the connection diagram for the transformer as it looks like your wiring is wrong
It looks like the door release buttons should be connected to terminal 6 and possibly terminal 5 as normally open buttons
With the magnet directly connected across terminals 1 & 2 when you press the release button you will get a timed lock release

Not read this post properly, but looking at the circuit diagram above, you have two NC pushbuttons connected in parallel. They will only do anything if both are pushed at the same time.

Hi, I have come across one of those power supplies in the past, it has a built in timer to release the lock.

The lock is wired into terminal 1 +ve and Terminal 2 -ve

The release buttons are normally open so you use the green pair on each one, wired in parallel. These are wired into terminals 5&6 it doesn't matter which way round.

The lock release timer is adjusted by the pot to suit the site as required.

Reply to Magnetic lock timer not working. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net