Discuss Main bonding lead water pipe? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

gesl

I have a CU change job and the water pipe supplying the house is lead. The lead enters the house then runs right under the house and into the kitchen where it is jointed to copper. The regs say bond where it enters the house (which is convieniently underneath the CU), but there appears to be some argument wether it is ok- and how- to bond to lead pipe.

What is right? and where is it in the regs?

Assuming you were using it for your competent persons inspection and had to explain your reasons, what would you do?

Cheers

GESL

I have a CU change job and the water pipe supplying the house is lead. The lead enters the house then runs right under the house and into the kitchen where it is jointed to copper. The regs say bond where it enters the house (which is convieniently underneath the CU), but there appears to be some argument wether it is ok- and how- to bond to lead pipe.

What is right? and where is it in the regs?

Assuming you were using it for your competent persons inspection and had to explain your reasons, what would you do?

Cheers

GESL

There is a big difference between a lead water pipe and a lead gas pipe-the water pipe is designed to cope with a much higher pressure and uses a strengthened wall making it suitable for a conventional BS951 clamp.

There is a constant pressure spring clamp available too if you'd prefer to fit that.

I don't know what you mean by 'some argument' if the pipe enters the property near the consumer unit then you bond it within 600mm of that point with the usual proviso on joints/branches.

Teletrix, thanks for the reply. There is a stop cock in the road about 1 meter from where the lead pipe enters the house under the floor in the living room. There is a small amount of exposed pipe in the living room. Then where the pipe comes out the floor in the kitchen there is a valve where the join is to the copper pipe.

Cheers

join it at the most accessible and easiest point you can achieve. (preferably copper) but as IQ said the Lead will be able to withstand bit more pressure than gas pipes!!

Thanks for the reply IQ. I have read in lots of places, including manufactures info that some BS951 clamps are not suitable for lead. Depending on who you ask you get a different opinion. I have searched high and low for the spring type clamp but can't find them anywhere, details would be appreciated.
The 'argument' I talk of is basically the difference in peoples opinions/interpretations of the regs.

Cheers

go with IQ's post. as he says lead water pipe is much thicker walled than lead gas pipe. it will stand a bog standard BS951 clamp without a problem.

been trying to get hold of them for ages. local wholesalers ain't got a clue what i'm on about.

A clamp on the lead it is then! Thanks for the info on the constant force spring clamps, I think I'll try one of those.

Cheers for all your thoughts

A standard BS951 will be fine for a pipe, but clean the lead with emery or the flat of a knife blade first. The wall of a lead water pipe is over twice as thick as the lead sheath on a cable.

I’ve worked on lead cables, gas pipes and water pipes. Not just putting clamps around them but joining them.

Lead isn’t as delicate as people think. The first time I was given a lead sleeve to beat for an 11KV joint I was tapping at it while the guy teaching me was howling with laughter, within a few minutes I was quite happily belting away at it. Just wish I’d still got my lead beating tools.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Main bonding lead water pipe? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock