Discuss main cut out fuse in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

lawmanxe

How do you pull out the fuse your self, I've phoned for permission to cut seal and got refused by dno and then went to the supplier they said I can as long as I test and leave certificate for them I'm really confused about changing a consumer unit and pulling the fuse. Help would be very greatful.

How do you pull out the fuse your self, I've phoned for permission to cut seal and got refused by dno and then went to the supplier they said I can as long as I test and leave certificate for them I'm really confused about changing a consumer unit and pulling the fuse. Help would be very greatful.

Well it's a bit late now to say that the seals were already cut. The supplier often doesn't own the fuse, that is usually the distributor.

Only the DNO can do this at the moment. Contact them & they will come out and disconnect/reconnect, it may cost a few quid aswell.

My mate works as a meter changer and cutting seals can be a big fine, a lot of people have said get permission and phone to be resealed after.

Meter companys operatives are only allowed to cut seals to enable them to carry out the meter change etc, there not the ones to contact for a consumer unit change.

This old chestnut again? SSE have a scheme whereby you can go to their local depot and pick up some seals. You have to be on a competent persons scheme though. I'm hoping there'll be a day when all DNO's see the sense in this arrangement.

LOL

i could have changed the board by now ;)

most DB changes i come across now a days already have the seals missing.

never seen the DNO give a ---- ?

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..............not the dreaded sea lion thread.............

Like who?

A lot of people don’t know their job either, it doesn’t stop them changing a CU.

It makes me shake my head when i go into the orange shed, wickes and the like and they sell CU's and breakers off the shelf like they are toys. It just shouldn't be allowed, but it is. I had a call from a lovely lady the other day whose next door neighbour had said they'd change her CU for her and she thought, bless her, that she should speak to an electrician before he did it. Apparently changing a CU is no different from wiring a plug.

I remember years ago when there was no DIY superstores you could only get gear from electrical wholesalers, I used to go with my dad when I was a kid and you had to show your approved ticket or they wouldn't sell you anything

Well it's a bit late now to say that the seals were already cut. The supplier often doesn't own the fuse, that is usually the distributor.
the service head + tails into the meter are DNO property

the meter is the energy suppliers

anything after that is consumers (including tails from meter)

if (and i say this without advocating the practice)...if you decide to pull the bullit after careful consideration for yourself (and any others) and you have verified the cutout + fuse carrier is in visually good condition then some plastic pliers should be employed...together with either a face shield or goggles...just in case....
and never, never pull a bullit under load....isolate first at DP switch + safe isolation procedure....

Reply to main cut out fuse in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock