Discuss Main Earth Problem in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

TPES

Evening all.

Just a quick one, not done much 3 phase, Ive added photos of a job i went to today, all the bloke wanted was additional sockets putting in his workshop.

The existing install is a right mess, he's telling me some sockets in his shop work, and some dont, and the same with lighting. I recomended to him it really wants sorting out as its unsure whats live and whats not.

At the end of the job i noticed that someone has cut the main earth, near enough flush with the supply. (you'll see by the photos)
There is only about 1.5 inch gap at the side to be able to get in there. very tight.

Is this a job only the electricity board can come out and repair?

or is it a job easily done by myself? i cant see how to get into the terminations to reconect the earth??

I have told the customer how important this is to get repaired asap.

Attachments

• MJC Motorcycles Work 016 small.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 65
  • MJC Motorcycles Work 003 small.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 60
  • MJC Motorcycles Work 013 small.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 59
  • MJC Motorcycles Work 015 small.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 65
Cant be the main earth surely.......can it??

Why in gods name would someone chop it, I'm absolutely speechless.:eek:

Exactly!! seems to be a vandal, or a very unhappy sparky in the past, it makes no sense at all to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you better make it your FIRST call in the morning and get that sorted.

To be honest bud, you probably shouldnt have left it without sorting it one way or the other.

Good luck!

Yeah i am going back in the morning, I just wanted to know how easy this is to repair, As i have now been told by 2 different sparkys this is down to the suppliers to sort out.

As its in such a tight space i'm struggling to see how this comes apart for me to terminate. any help apreciated.

Im assuming its PME, so on the far right of the cutouts, there should be a plate held in with a screw and its probably sealed.

That is where your earth connection will be, however , i strongly recommend you contact the DNO on their emergency number and explain the situation to them.

I think you will find they will there before you hang up the phone.

If THEY supply and earth point, it is THEIR responsibility to maintain it.

I'll be totally honest, if it were me I'd have been busting into that cut-out myself as soon as I saw it to connect in a new earth, then pick up the phone.

I'll be totally honest, if it were me I'd have been busting into that cut-out myself as soon as I saw it to connect in a new earth, then pick up the phone.

I'll get my hammer on it first thing in the morning, I'll find a way into it. I was just very unsure about touching the supply authority's property, as jason said. Its there responsibility. I'll make sure its done asap. as its the customer who is at "High risk"

Unfortunately, this won't be the first time you come across this type of problem but walking away is not an option. I'd do the same as Lenny and make a new connection otherwise I'd have a sleepless few nights!

I'll get my hammer on it first thing in the morning, I'll find a way into it. I was just very unsure about touching the supply authority's property, as jason said. Its there responsibility. I'll make sure its done asap. as its the customer who is at "High risk"

Snip the seals, out comes the fuse, unscrew the top bang get tht earth in. Its a PRIMARY safety fault. thats what i call it anyway. They(DNO) cant argue with safety for breaking their seals.

Cheers

Reply to Main Earth Problem in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net