Discuss Main Earthing in Consumer Unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am due to carry out an electrical job in a third floor flat.

Incoming supply is TN-S.

Cannot locate a main earthing conductor inside the CU on the earth bar, just the individual circuits CPCs.

There are two earths clamped to the bottom of the metal CU, one disappearing down some metal conduit and one clamped to a metal pipe. I assumed these were the bonding conductors as they tested ok for water/gas.

SSE seem to think that the CU is adequately earthed but I am not so sure. I think they could be testing parallel paths.

Surely the main earthing conductor should be terminated in the CU earth bar?

See photos. Any thoughts??

Attachments

• IMG_2136.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2137.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 69
If it is indeed a tn-s supply and therefore they are providing an earth then in my opinion.

1 it should be accessible
2 it should be labelled

i cant see it or it’s identification label.

I am due to carry out an electrical job in a third floor flat.

Incoming supply is TN-S.

Cannot locate a main earthing conductor inside the CU on the earth bar, just the individual circuits CPCs.

There are two earths clamped to the bottom of the metal CU, one disappearing down some metal conduit and one clamped to a metal pipe. I assumed these were the bonding conductors as they tested ok for water/gas.

SSE seem to think that the CU is adequately earthed but I am not so sure. I think they could be testing parallel paths.

Surely the main earthing conductor should be terminated in the CU earth bar?

See photos. Any thoughts??
How is the Cu in the flat supplied Swa ?

Reply to Main Earthing in Consumer Unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I wondered if it is OK to have 2 x Main Switches in the same consumer unit. One feeding the RCBOs in the House and one feeding the CU in a garage...
Replies
Views
I am planning to go semi off grid with a victron and battery system. The system will be installed in an out building about 20 meters away from...
Replies
Views
Can a domestic consumer unit feed another consumer unit, via the Main Switch. Details are: domestic property with 100A single phase supply...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am at odds on whether RCD protection is required on an SWA of 14 metres, clipped direct under flooring direct from CU to an exterior...
Replies
Views
Hi all, what is the best way to configure surge protection in domestic dwellings when you have multiple consumer units? Does each consumer unit...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock