Discuss main fuse cut-out in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

nick7083

Hi
In 2009 I replaced a consumer unit at a property which 17 months later had a fire caused by the fuse cut-out.

Does anyone have any advice, as I have a meeting next week with the 'claimants legals'

Regards
Nick

main fuse cut out

Hi
I replaced a consumer unit in 2009, which had a fire 17 months later due to the fuse cut-out fault [seals in tact]. I am aware that I can't cut the seals but where does it state this?

Additionally any idea where I stand legally ??

Meeting next week with 'claimants legal people'

Regards
Nick

Re: main fuse cut out

We had a thread a few months ago were there had been a CU fire several years after it had been installed. There was a lot of relevant info there so I'll look for it whe n I get a chance.

PS Two similar threads merged

Hi
I replaced a consumer unit in 2009, which had a fire 17 months later due to the fuse cut-out fault [seals in tact]. I am aware that I can't cut the seals but where does it state this?

Additionally any idea where I stand legally ??

Meeting next week with 'claimants legal people'

Regards
Nick

so long as you have issued all certificates then you should be alright and it's not a mistake on your part like a wire arcing away for a couple of years

if the cu change was really in 2009 and they are just coming now, I would decline to meet them....too much water has gone under the bridge since then.

Just how are you responsible for the cut-out failing?

At a guess, the insurance don’t want to take on the DNO. You’re an easy target. Put it staight to your insurance, don't get involved.

I was informed of the fire in January 2010, had various meetings with my legals who have killed a 'rain-forest' in paperwork and probably made a fortune. it has taken 3 years to get to this meeting.
I have all the certs and registered the job with building control, I did not remove the fuse, I took the tails out of the meter. My Liability insurance was and is in date they are providing my legal cover at the meeting. I have been requested to attend [plan to take a back seat and let the legals discuss].
Just want any advice or information concerning previous cases [with outcome if possible]

regards
Nick

if you attend a meeting with their legals, then be sure to take your legals with you. let them do the talking.

I was informed of the fire in January 2010, had various meetings with my legals who have killed a 'rain-forest' in paperwork and probably made a fortune. it has taken 3 years to get to this meeting.
I have all the certs and registered the job with building control, I did not remove the fuse, I took the tails out of the meter. My Liability insurance was and is in date they are providing my legal cover at the meeting. I have been requested to attend [plan to take a back seat and let the legals discuss].
Just want any advice or information concerning previous cases [with outcome if possible]

regards
Nick
I'm not sure I'd be disclosing this!

That would be very helpful. You are a star
and this should be a lesson to all who are not covered for public liability....

GET COVERED!!

i know loads operating around the areas i work in rite now who i can assure you are definately not covered for owt....

yet still they ply their trade....

they ain`t ignorant either ..so they cant play that card....

Reply to main fuse cut-out in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net