Discuss Main Fuse Pulling in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

BigSi

-
Reaction score
Now being the good boy that I am, I don’t (or ever have), cut the main DNO seal and removed the fuse myself. I normally factor this into the estimation and explain the reason to the customer. I was also told by a meter installer for one of the energy companies, that when your meter is read, they also note whether the seal is present or missing.

Anyway, the job involved moving a consumer unit and renewing the mains tails, and due to other work commitments, this would take place over two days. Now normally the nice man will turn up, cut the seal, and return to re-seal when the job is complete. But apparently now they will cut the seal, remove the main fuse, and take it with them! So for this particular job it would of involved four visits over the two days at a charge of £45 (I think?) for each visit (£180 in total)!

Anyway, after a chat with the nice lady on the phone they were quite happy to turn up and install an isolator switch for the much reduced sum of £70 ish. Just under two hours later, the nice man arrived and installed said isolator switch......jobs a good’un!

Now, time for a nice cup of tea!!!!! :coffee:

they should have done it for free. or maybe just the cost of the isolator. they don't want us to pull the fuse, so then they should make provision for us to work safely. what the hell is the standing charge for?

I call it a Standing Tax not a standing charge, as bad as the CCL IMO

they should have done it for free. or maybe just the cost of the isolator. they don't want us to pull the fuse, so then they should make provision for us to work safely. what the hell is the standing charge for?[/QUOTE]

If you ever find the answer to that question, be sure to tell Eng 54 .... he asked the very same question a couple of days ago.

well, i got the answer. it's for DNO to sit on their arses and occasionally, repair a fault, after said fault has fried your TV, sky box, microwave, PC, ipad ( whatever that is), dog's dinner, electronic 13kW shower, gate entry, whatever else is subject to surges/lost neutrals/over volts.

I got told that they were fitting the isolator for free and also changing all meters to the 'smart' ones, which had to be done in the next 5 years....

i had a C/U change the other day....
and i dont mind telling you all now i was into that meter and removing them tails secondry side....and sod what an energy supplier or the chuffin DNO think.....
i am not working live if i dont have to.....neither am i paying (or getting a customer to pay for) a DP iso for £70....which incidentally seems to have doubled in price in the space of a year....they can all f**k off...

energy suppliers: the biggest thieves going

DNO: another set of robbing hanger onners

I know first hand experience how it works. I upgraded my own tails and put a new consumer unit in. Obviously seal was already missing off meter :). Anyway the meterreader came around and within 2 weeks I had a visit from "revenue protection".

Anyway they re-sealed the meter with a golden coloured seal.

Basically what they told me was: main fuse seal missing.... No report. Meter seal missing. Reported.

I always Henley the old tails to my new tails. That way I haven't gone anywhere near their meter. They really aren't bothered about the main fuse

Basically what they told me was: main fuse seal missing.... No report. Meter seal missing. Reported.

I always Henley the old tails to my new tails. That way I haven't gone anywhere near their meter. They really aren't bothered about the main fuse

This is what I have always been told by meter guys on site, and it's what I've always worked by.

well perhaps next time the `revenue police` come round to `inspect` their property (which incidentally happens to be on your property)....if they dont like it you can always tell em to remove their property of your property....or you`l have em for trespassing

Changed one a few weeks ago, bloke came to read the meter a couple of days later when I was there to connect the shower in haha, had cleared the seals up by that time, my company tell us to cut the seals anyway.

When revenue protection came to my house they sealed the meter back up. Did they deal the main fuse???

Nerp!

So there's your answer just don't cut the Meter seal. Henley block the old ones!

I would always fit seals afterwards to make secure. The older cutouts used screws and seals but the modern one uses friction and 2 gripple wires and a seal help secure it.Hence it can only be removed with a tool.

holy resurrection, batman. dug up from 3+ years ago. hope they don't do it to me when i'm dead and buried.

Reply to Main Fuse Pulling in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock