Discuss Main fuse query in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi I’m planning on getting my house re-wired soon, the installation at the minute is an ancient old fuse board with all sorts going on in there! My main fuse is rated at 60 amp and my question is should I get the dno in to upgrade if needed to 80 or 100 amp! Am I best doing this before or after re-wire?
Will 60 amp be ok staying put?
It’s a 3 bed semi.
Thanks for help:)

Can you state the reasons why future unknown and possible extra loading is going to require a sometimes expensive ( and also not necessarily guaranteed) upgrade by the supplier may be needed?

Unless you can,I would be tempted to find something else to spend my money on rather than taking a guess at predicting future loading requirements just because of a rewiring job

Hi I’m planning on getting my house re-wired soon, the installation at the minute is an ancient old fuse board with all sorts going on in there! My main fuse is rated at 60 amp and my question is should I get the dno in to upgrade if needed to 80 or 100 amp! Am I best doing this before or after re-wire?
It’s a 3 bed semi.
I’m from the USA but I’m sure you will be told this but if it was me I would go to 100 amp just do it all at the same time

I’m from the USA but I’m sure you will be told this but if it was me I would go to 100 amp just do it all at the same time

It may not just be the cost of simply upgrading the fuse.

If the network (DNO) cable, or area loading is not capable of a 100A supply, the cost to upgrade could be hundreds, more likely thousands.

For the OP, the house has been fine up to now with a 60A service fuse. Are you planning on installing more larger loads?

It’s a 3 bed semi.

Unless the rewire includes adding more load then it shouldn't be necessary. If it's a straightforward rewire then the current demand isn't going to change much.

No big loads planned for future, I just thought that having a 60 amp fuse was old skool and a change was in need! If I can stick with 60 that’s great.
Cheers guys:)

It is presently done correctly.

Choosing to upgrade to a 100A supply at cost when a 60A supply has proven to be adequate would make as much sense as choosing to put a higher performing engine in a vehicle that has a speed restrictor fitted.
Every house in America has a 100amp service and mostly 200 amp

Do you have gas hob and oven or electric?

Do you have electric shower or mixer taps?

Do you have electric rads or gas central heating?
We have electric hot water heaters at 4800 watts heat is 10000 watts stoves are 4000 watts dryer are 6000 watts plus all the other loads. I get what your saying but in the USA other than trailors 100 amp service no exceptions

Thanks megawatt.

I think Britain needs to start thinking along those lines also if we are going to get rid of gas and role out EV in the quantities that are being proposed.

My question was initially directed to garymcdee.

Every house in America has a 100amp service and mostly 200 amp

Common sizes over here are 60, 80, and 100A for single phase domestic and small properties. 80A is commonly the choice the for new build houses, but the national grid network uses a smaller amount when sizing their infrastructure.
As Davesparks says most houses currently won't see anywhere near 60A use in any one peak.

Thanks megawatt.

I think Britain needs to start thinking along those lines also if we are going to get rid of gas and role out EV in the quantities that are being proposed.

We need to be thinking of continual energy reduction (electric & gas).

It’s called planning for the future. I can’t count how many people called me because they want to add swimming pools, out buildings etc. you get the point

It's worth noting that in the UK generally speaking, houses don't come with enough land for pools, outbuildings etc...

They are also generally smaller, better insulated. No real need for AC.

Dryers and washing machines are usually <2kW so they can be plugged into a general outlet. Unlike your dedicated outlets for such devices.

We also rely a lot more on diversity. The network does not expect every high energy item in a household to be on all at the same time, or for a short period if they are. (Think cyclic heating on a stove element, dryer element etc...)

Reply to Main fuse query in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock