Discuss Main fuse query in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I could answer that with we have 3 phase so higher current devices use 415v, but of course it is not done domestically in the UK though it is in mainland Europe.
There's nominally 400V between phases.

It's worth noting that in the UK generally speaking, houses don't come with enough land for pools, outbuildings etc...

They are also generally smaller, better insulated. No real need for AC.

Dryers and washing machines are usually <2kW so they can be plugged into a general outlet. Unlike your dedicated outlets for such devices.

We also rely a lot more on diversity. The network does not expect every high energy item in a household to be on all at the same time, or for a short period if they are. (Think cyclic heating on a stove element, dryer element etc...)
It's worth noting that in the UK generally speaking, houses don't come with enough land for pools, outbuildings etc...

They are also generally smaller, better insulated. No real need for AC.

Dryers and washing machines are usually <2kW so they can be plugged into a general outlet. Unlike your dedicated outlets for such devices.

We also rely a lot more on diversity. The network does not expect every high energy item in a household to be on all at the same time, or for a short period if they are. (Think cyclic heating on a stove element, dryer element etc...)
Rob in the USA the NEC is minimum requirements and I agree that everything doesn’t come on together at one time but we as Electricians have to figure worst case scenario and wiring it accordingly.

60amp is the size not blown, leave alone. If you are concerned about the load, clamp it an see how many amps you are pulling on full load.
Dave I have put a amp meter on my house and just when the heat which has 10000 watts of power kicks on I’m reading 74 amps on the start up then levels off to 41 amps, that’s not counting if your drying clothes or cooking supper or washing dishes which all has heating elements

60amp is the size not blown, leave alone. If you are concerned about the load, clamp it an see how many amps you are pulling on full load.
If I had a 60amp fuse that would start over heating and eventually blow. Since from what I understand y’all have higher voltage so as you know the higher the voltage the lower the current

It’s called planning for the future. I can’t count how many people called me because they want to add swimming pools, out buildings etc. you get the point

Swimming pools don't need much power, unless someone was mad enough to have it heated electrically in which case a 3 phase supply is likely to be needed.

In the USA I am sure a higher capacity service is necessary, in the UK it rarely is for domestic use.
The general trend is towards reducing energy consumption so planning for the future shouldn't need a bigger supply.

I partially get the point, but at what point does planning for the future become a futile exercise?
A cost/benefit analysis is likely to show that the cost of the upgrade is high and the benefit zero.

Last edited:
Rob in the USA the NEC is minimum requirements and I agree that everything doesn’t come on together at one time but we as Electricians have to figure worst case scenario and wiring it accordingly.

We don't work to the worst case scenario, we generally use diversity calculations which have been long established and proven to work. We still end up with supplies oversized for the actual demand.

It's not just everything not coming on at the same time, it's things like the cycling of the thermostats in heating loads which reduces the actual demand.

We have electric hot water heaters at 4800 watts heat is 10000 watts stoves are 4000 watts dryer are 6000 watts plus all the other loads. I get what your saying but in the USA other than trailors 100 amp service no exceptions

Hot water and heating are normally gas or oil fired. If electric hot water is usually 3kW and heating is likely to be on an off peak supply
Cookers up to around 15kW work fine on a 32A supply due to diversity, and rarely draw even that.
And tumble driers are normally 2kW or less and usually only used when it's raining and not possible to air dry clothes outside.

south yorks.... looks like a job for Glenn(Super)Sparks.

Reply to Main fuse query in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock