Discuss Main fuse rating in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

kilmo

-
Reaction score
Not an electrician but a reader of your forum,

I had british gas around change my supply from 3 phase to single phase (used to be a pub now a domestic dwelling and my electrician advised just using single phase to reduce 415v across different points in the house)
The British gas guy replaced the meter for a single phase one, upgraded the tails from the service head to the meter and to a dp isolator and removed the 2 unused fuses and sealed the service head.

The single remaining fuse now running the house is 60amp, he went out to his van to get a 80amp but didn't have one so just stuck with the original.
Is swapping to a 80amp fuse acceptable?
I was under the impression it's not british gas property it's the DNOs

My other concern is now the whole large property is running through a 60amp fuse,

Well as this guy from BG as changed your meter, upgraded your tails (25mm?), fitted a double pole switch, and then removed 2 phase fuses and made the head safe, I would imagine he is much more than your average meter fitter.

He could very well be the DNO, but more likely to be a subby for BG. After all BG and your DNO will work together.

As for the fuse well a 60amp fuse will continue quite merrily for over an hour at 2 times it's rating (120amps) so you may find that it is quite adequate.

I would though contact the DNO/BG and ask tell them that the guy wanted to fit an 80amp fues for you, upgraded your tails to suit, but was unable to fit one and only fitted a 60amp for temporary. And could they advise you when they are coming to upgrade

Many thanks, will try contacting the DNO, the guy from British gas had been doing it years and said he was involved in auditing

120amps peak tho I'm sure I will be fine (I do have 2 spare fuses)

British Gas will be your supplier who is responsible for the tails coming out of the service head, the meter and the tails leaving the meter.
I doubt he was from tthe DNO as their responsibilty ends at the service head.
I guess he assessed the install you have and assumes a 60 amp supply wiil be sufficient.
I wouldn't worry to much about it.

Reply to Main fuse rating in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net