Discuss Main incomer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

It's probably fine in terms of integrity - the leaking may be an issue - not sure if this is the sort that has pitch in, if so it may indicate overheating.

With that and the seemingly broken screw, I'd be getting the DNO out to look at it and determine it's safety for continued use (or not)

I went to this one not so long ago!IMG_20201119_0936398.jpg
Had the DNO out to this one although not leaking like yours! They said it was fine until I asked them to isolate it so I could put a main isolator in. Then all of a sudden it needed a new cut out! They were back a little while later in the month and put a new cut out in and fitted an isolator. So could go either way tomorrow!

Re the OP, I can't see clearly whether it is leaking pitch, which can be a sign of overheating (although it can very slowly ooze out of holes anyway). It appears to be leaking cable compound (the liquid impregnant of the paper insulation) which sometimes happens if the head is at a low point in the cable run and the compound is under hydrostatic pressure. This is not a sign of overheating but can indicate it's not properly sealed.

Don't forget that if you can get the DNO guys to leave them behind I can pay beer coupons for these because we need all kinds of DNO gear for the museum.

@Peakyblinder89
Did you get a good outcome from the visit?
Or did they not attend like a job I have been on where they promised to come out and didn't bother? And yes it has got a bs951 earth clamp around the incoming cable!IMG_20210604_1207331.jpg

@Peakyblinder89
Or did they not attend like a job I have been on where they promised to come out and didn't bother? And yes it has got a bs951 earth clamp around the incoming cable!View attachment 87011
Interesting titbit about those clamps. There was a period (late 70s I think), when 951 clamps were specified as suitable for providing TN-S earthing. This came up on one of the E5 podcasts I believe - possibly one on coding for EICRs.

So it's possible that it was compliant when it was installed, and not just a bodge by someone later on - although that is of course a very real possibility...

@Dartlec that is interesting and I had not heard that before! Unfortunately in this case there was originally a proper sweated connection probably about the equivalent of 4mm, it looks to have been either deliberately cut off by the last electrician who was there or snapped off previously!

@Peakyblinder89
Or did they not attend like a job I have been on where they promised to come out and didn't bother? And yes it has got a bs951 earth clamp around the incoming cable!View attachment 87011
Spoke to my client last thing today to see how they got on, she said shes still waiting to hear back from SP customer service, shes going to chase them again tomorrow

Interesting titbit about those clamps. There was a period (late 70s I think), when 951 clamps were specified as suitable for providing TN-S earthing. This came up on one of the E5 podcasts I believe - possibly one on coding for EICRs.

So it's possible that it was compliant when it was installed, and not just a bodge by someone later on - although that is of course a very real possibility...
I generally get the DNO out to get rid of the 951 clamp had it a few times when doing a Ze test where there was arcing at the clamp, the first time I found the problem I heard a noise when I pressed the test button tried it a second time and heard it again switched the cupboard light off and hit the test button again and saw the flash at the clamp. When the DNO removed the clamp you could actually see where it had arced on the clamp

Reply to Main incomer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net