Discuss Main Protective Bonding Of Plastic Installations in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Spudnik

As the original thread by sjm got hijacked i have reposted it:

"Hi guys.
Quick question and just looking for your opinions.
If you had a main water supply pipe of plastic, for at least 20 mtrs underground, and a complete plastic pipe installation within the property would you require a small bit of copper after the stopcock in order to main protective bond the installation?

The OSG says that there is no requirement to main bond in such a situation, or am I reading it wrong.

Thanks in advance.
Steve"

There was always slight confusion regarding plastic supply services so the regs changed the wording slightly to suggest that main bonding would be required for the metallic system, irregardless of a plastic supply. In your case however, plastic supply and plastic installation, it can be omitted. I would provide a solid explanation on the documentation though.

it can get confusing Iv seen central heating installs that look copper but they are only short copper tails from the boiler to under the worktop and from floor to rads and short tail inside kitchen cupboard Id class that as full PVC install

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys.
It was my opinion that this installation would not require main bonding.
I asked the question because a plumber friend of mine told me that another local electrician insisted that it be bonded to a small piece of copper pipe after the stopcock. The plumber friend had installed the new plastic main supply and plastic in the house.

what is the point of bonding a short piece of copper . it does nothing useful except making more profit for others ( cable, earthing tags etc.).

what is the point of bonding a short piece of copper . it does nothing useful except making more profit for others ( cable, earthing tags etc.).

There is none.
If it's an insulated supply, then 544.1.2 applies. If it is only a short piece of copper then it isn't considered 'hard metal pipe-work' and as Steve pointed out, we don't want to just start introducing 0V potential everywhere if deemed not necessary.

As the original thread by sjm got hijacked i have reposted it:

"Hi guys.
Quick question and just looking for your opinions.
If you had a main water supply pipe of plastic, for at least 20 mtrs underground, and a complete plastic pipe installation within the property would you require a small bit of copper after the stopcock in order to main protective bond the installation?

The OSG says that there is no requirement to main bond in such a situation, or am I reading it wrong.

Thanks in advance.
Steve"

Nope.

You read it right. No requirement to bond any metallic part supplied by plastic pipe. If it's plastic at the incomer, and plastic throughout, no need for any bonding at all.

However, I'd always caveat that - I worry about the amount of exposed metal in buildings these days, and given the propensity of DIY'ers to not follow the rules, the notion for a live conductor being exposed anywhere increases.....

Whilst there are arguments on both sides on this one (and it will run and run and run) as to whether bonding exposed metal work in these cases INTRODUCES an electrical path, and hence the risk of shock, or whether it introduces an electrical path to dissipate the risk of shock (preventing exposed metal work from storing charge, should it be exposed to a supply, I'd probably err on the side of caution, and still bond radiators, on the same basis as metal sinks and so on.

I would err on the side of B.S.7671 and IEE guidance note 8, and not waste my time installing main equipotential bonding to pipes that are not Extraneous Conductive Parts

The small piece of copper is only requested so that the bond & clamp has somewhere to connect to.

Reply to Main Protective Bonding Of Plastic Installations in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock