Discuss Main service fuse in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Morning Guys

Just wondered what you do about swicthing power off when changing a CU if there isn't an isolator fitted? I know that the seal on the fuse shouldn't be cut and the fuse pulled. I've just spoken to my provider and they charge £45 for an isolator to be fitted.

When doing this work, would you advsie the client to have an isolator fitted first. I can see that there is the potential to loose jobs as I'm sure people just remove this fuse.

Cheers
Rich

£45 for an isolator technically there obliged to supply for FREE.... Sounds about right

Still better than the £180 a customer was recently quoted

EDIT... And they also wanted the customer to supply said switch!!

Last edited:
Some will fit the isolator for free if you supply it.

£45 for an isolator technically there obliged to supply for FREE.... Sounds about right

Still better than the £180 a customer was recently quoted

EDIT... And they also wanted the customer to supply said switch!!

RWJ - can you advise where it is specified the provider is obliged to provide and install an isolator switch for free?

RWJ - can you advise where it is specified the provider is obliged to provide and install an isolator switch for free?

Nope....... In short I can't.. I'm on holiday this week, but when I got back to work next week I'll ask the boss.

And I did say Technically I didn't say they actually would!!

if the DNO fuse seal hasn't already dropped off ( LOL ). then an isolator is the way forward.

problem is... how to get new 25mm tails into the meter if you not allowed to cut meter seals?

problem is... how to get new 25mm tails into the meter if you not allowed to cut meter seals?

I connect them into a henleys block, long enough to go into the meter and then ask customer to contact DNO when job is finished. They come out, connect the tails and resale the fuse. for free.

yesah, that's what i try and do, but if your DNO is anything like mine...been waiting 3 months for them to come out to a job after they had written and promised within 5 working days!!!!

To be honest, once the jobs done, I leave it with the customer. Never asked how long it actually takes them to come and connect the tails.!

I had Scottish Power Energy Networks out few months ago. Guy said no one cares about the seals anymore :)

He left the seals unsealed for me and said just use a pair of cutters to crimp them.

well living in the real world and trying to run a business i try to avoid as much contact with the DNO as possible as they are nothing but a ball ache

cut the seals and isolate properly(allways be safe), replace old tails with new to the meter, get yourself some seals from ebay and crimp them back, ok so its not got serial numbers but looks alot better than no seals at all, and do a proper job.

if you leave tails in henly block then you have to cut the fuse seals anyway so you might as well cut the meter seals too and do a proper job, i know for a fact if i left the tails in a henly i would get repeated call backs from customers asking when the DNO are coming to sort it out as they have failed to show up again and i can do with out it.

BOTTOM LINE is the NICEIC and others tried repeatedly to broach this topic with the DNO companies about supplying courses (keerrrchhinng) for sparkys and everything to allow them to remove the fuses themselves but they wouldnt budge so i say ferk them and crack on!!

You can get away with replacing the seals with ones thatdo not have to dno stamp on because the seals are never checked. Also when some engineers seal the meters they dont always get the sealing pliers on the ferrul correct so they end up not leaving a stamp. As i said, its better to have a seal on there than not have one. If you live in my area i wouldnt mind sealing up peoples work. No fee involved.

Reply to Main service fuse in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net