Discuss Main Switch question! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

niloc1

New to the trade and lots to learn! So I've filled in my very first installation certificate - but what is the Type BS(EN) of the main switch on this BS3036 semi-enclosed fuses consumer unit? It's 250V, 80A but no more markings - is it relevant for this old board? Also why does my tester not display the PFC in kA as asked for on the form - I get 0.17 ohms. Help!

niloc1

The bs no. is probaly 5419 which has now been superceeded by bs en 60947-3 on newer cu's as for the pfc this is the prospective fault current i think they require it from phase to earth so ohms law 230/0.17 gives you the current,
Hope this helps
AJ

If your meter dosn't have a pfc test option just divide your 0.17 into the line voltage to get you pfc in amps then divide this into 1000 for Ka

The bs no. is probaly 5419 which has now been superceeded by bs en 60947-3 on newer cu's as for the pfc this is the prospective fault current i think they require it from phase to earth so ohms law 230/0.17 gives you the current,
Hope this helps
AJ

Many thanks - that's great! :)
niloc1

If your meter dosn't have a pfc test option just divide your 0.17 into the line voltage to get you pfc in amps then divide this into 1000 for Ka

Thanks darkwood - niloc1

Last edited by a moderator:
Just couldn't remember off me head but you sound correct lenny thank you for the clarification
Regards
AJ

just an addition to your query if your looking for pfc on a three phase system you need to find it from the highest result from the 3 line supplies then double it before you write it down.

just an addition to your query if your looking for pfc on a three phase system you need to find it from the highest result from the 3 line supplies then double it before you write it down.

On this point I know you have to double the highest reading on 3 Phase but can't remember why? Can someone enlighten me please???

On this point I know you have to double the highest reading on 3 Phase but can't remember why? Can someone enlighten me please???
In single phase a short circuit L-N or L-E is 230v where as in three phase you have to consider a short between the phases 400v which will nearly double the fault current and as most meters cant test between phases its easier although crude to just double it.

Last edited:

Reply to Main Switch question! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock