Discuss Main switch rating for new CCU in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Maff

I have another CCU replacement to do, but this one is my first one on a 60A service head I am going to do my usual of fitting a cut out switch, but what size tails/main switch RCD should I fit. Its probarbly a stupid question but its for an old boy and I dont want to waste any money unnecessarilly.

well you can keep to 63A main switch or watever comes with the special offer consumer unit. long as you tails can hold to the 60 A main fuse and your bonding is upto date and if not you can do you sums and see if you can sneak it in there....

Maff I hope your not fitting justa single RCD as a main switch as reg 314 is not going to like that.

As for the 60amp main fuse well you can use 16mm tails for that, but most wholesalers will do a 25mm kit for a few pounds, and so if possible I would fit 25mm just in case the head was ever upgraded.

There is more info needed here first of all are we talking about a 3 bedroom plus extension house or are we talking about a 1 bedroom flat ? I have said this before I was asked to fit a CU in a one bed flat with 6 circuits so I fitted a 10 way dual RCD board a bit oversizing yes but economics ie the board was cheaper than putting together a smaller unit there was a 60 amp supply but I care not a jot as the isolator was rated a 100 amp plus if there was to be an additional circuit required then happy days plus there was more room within the CU

Its a 1970's detatched house with two extensions, the house and each extension each has a re-wireable fuse board totaling 9 ways, they are having a new kitchen and the installers say that RCD protection is needed so I figured replace the whole lot with a split board (good prices at the wholesalers), I just thought that the installation that is there at present is just so puny, as I have never seen an incoming supply cable as thin before.

So Maff lett me get this right there is 3 boards 1 main in the house say 6 way and 2 2ways in the extentions so me thinks you may want to go for a 15 way board in the house and if you cannot bring the extension circuits back to the board then fit RCBOs to supply the 2 2 way boards that you can change to CB models so yep 25mm tails and yes there may only be a 60/80A main fuse but this could be upgraded a future date

Reply to Main switch rating for new CCU in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net